Review of Southern Road and Selected Poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Review of Southern Road and Selected Poems

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Southern Road and Selected Poems" by karl Carter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Southern Road and Selected Poems by Karl Carter is a combination of thirty-one poems that address diverse societal issues and also create a powerful imaginary narration of circumstances that humans must contend with. The woes of being different or being stereotyped are a stigma nobody wants to have their descendants face. However, some people are tangled in a web of racism (blackness), woman's rights (patriarchy), and other segregations based on gender, race, tribe, or even culture. Karl W. Carter Jr. presented different ideas on the diverse issues that our society is facing. With literary mastery, Karl asks the important questions that remind us of our humanity. What are these questions that weigh on our humanity? Can these poems help us find a means to create a better society? Can we once again become humans by driving away some of the traits that challenge our common humanity? Answers to these questions are provided.

The beauty and prowess of poems are in their manner of presentation and literary language. Relatively, the author wrote like a literary wizard. He made me see the beauty of literature and poems, and it amazed me. With this sweet, imaginative narrative, the themes of the poems are laid out and the purpose of the poems is understood. The poem in memory of Leon Damas had all the emotions and feelings of friendship the author shared with him. I could feel the connection; I could feel the writer’s fears and feelings regarding the death of Leon. I could clearly see his wonderful memories of Leon, and it takes a literary genius to write in a language that can stir such emotions in the reader. And this is commendable.

The diversity of this collection of poems, its concise nature, and its beautiful language usage make it perfect. I would also add that there is nothing to dislike about this collection of poems. Relatively, I find nothing to dislike in the poem.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 because the author’s writing style was both original and professional. The author wrote in a language that is safe, friendly, and perfectly woven. More so, the poems in this collection have the perfect mixture of emotion and reality.

This is an impressive collection for poem lovers. It is also a great fit for culture enthusiasts. This collection of poems has the power to turn someone who does not love reading poems into a poem lover. These poems are excellence redefined.

Southern Road and Selected Poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

The poems seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Great review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

I like reading collections of poems because there are many ideas and themes that will be scattered round that must suit my taste. Thanks for the review.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Embracing diversity through poetry, I think this, will make an excellent read.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Poem lovers should enjoy reading this one. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”