Review of Scattered Changes

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Scattered Changes

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scattered Changes" by Ollie Marshall-Rico.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scattered Changes by Ollie Marshall-Rico is a book of poetry conveying deep emotion with every page. Each poem focuses on an experience that is very relatable for readers. There are dark topics focusing on death and grief that exude raw emotion. For example, “Dead” describes witnessing death and tragedy. It expresses the overwhelming feeling of helplessness. This darkness is weighed against the hopefulness of other poems. For example, “Light” describes leaving the darkness of the past and moving forward in faith. It provides a very positive outlook for the future.

In addition to the poems that express human emotion so vividly, there are poems that appreciate nature. In “Birds,” the author conveys a longing to hear birds singing again. In “Drawn to Nature,” various animals are described in a comforting manner. The author asks readers to let their senses feel the beauty in the animals that live among us. There are also poems about insecurities and doubts. In “Too Soon,” the author expresses the uncertainty people can feel when they may have given up too soon on a person or a project.

I enjoyed reading this book. Each poem was unique and focused on a topic or experience that I could relate to. There are so many common experiences that we all have. The author’s ability to capture the feelings associated with these common experiences and express them through poetry is what I liked most about this book. The author was able to create poems that expressed these relatable emotions. For example, most readers have experienced the loss of a loved one. The poems regarding grief acknowledge this common experience and expressed the associated emotions beautifully. Anyone who has experienced grief can appreciate the poem.

I particularly liked “Air Soul” because it shows an appreciation for those that have come before us. It acknowledges that we need other people in our lives and should be thankful. I liked that the poetry asks readers to examine their lives and think about their experiences. I found that the common threads of love and loss conjured up memories of my past experiences. I was able to appreciate the sentiments expressed when I could relate to the experiences on a personal level. I also appreciated the personal photographs that were sprinkled throughout the book. They added to the poetry and gave a glimpse into the author’s life. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

The book was exceptionally well edited. I did not see any errors while reading these poems. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy poetry filled with real emotion focused on the human experience. It is worth noting that some of the poems focus on God and faith in a very positive way. Readers without an interest in God or religion may not appreciate those poems. I give this book a rating of four out of four stars. The author expertly conveyed complex experiences and emotions in poems covering a wide variety of topics. For the reasons stated, it deserves a perfect score.

Scattered Changes
View: on Bookshelves
Munyiva254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Munyiva254 »

love historical fiction and I guess I will love non-fiction as well. The books seems educational and well-written, I guess I will give it a try. Great review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is another book I would love to keep reading. Awesome review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I like that this book of poetry conveys deep emotions. It should be exciting to see. Great review.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Poetry always intrigues me as it sometimes carries me to another realm of understanding. People, places and God are important factors in all our lives. Thanks for the review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Insightful review. As a lover of poetry, I am excited to read about Marshall-Rico’s vast poetry collection. Definitely worth reading.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

I like when literature particularly poems play with my emotions and would really love to read this soon.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

This is an emotional poem. I got lost in deep thought while reading. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”