Review of Snout Chasing Tail

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Snout Chasing Tail

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snout Chasing Tail" by Joseph Fulkerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I avoided this book because the cover art reminded me of CatDog—a cartoon I never liked. After reading the sample, I immediately order the book. The first poem “Stonks!” was on target, expressing the distrustful sentiments many have towards the recent stock market movement. I was easily captivated, but it could have been the meme; either way, this was a clever hook for any potential audience.

Snout Chasing Tail by Joseph Fulkerson is a satirical poetry collection of merely 69 pages. I appreciated the handiwork of the physical copy: The matte paperback cover feels nice under the fingertips. Despite the crazy-looking cover image, the inside format is clean and simple—a black serif typeface on eggshell-colored sheets. Plus, you can feel the print slightly raised.

It’s a challenge not to delve into side conversations because Fulkerson’s muses simultaneously encourage and trigger you: This is a major positive aspect. While being comedic, his poems cover serious topics. For example, the economy, politics and current social issues. He also writes about his personal life, such as his relationship with his father and his childhood.

One of my favorite poems is “Volcano Tears.” Only five verses long, it is poignant and sad. Another favorite is “The United States of Dichotomy.” It starts on a despondent tune but surprisingly raises your spirits. Fulkerson should have concluded his book with this one. It seems to answer his own questions on the future of our country.

No matter the subject, Fulkerson draws you into a discourse, willingly or unwillingly—in the least, you’ll probably roll your eyes and slam his book shut. “Fan Mail” is a prime example of disapproval with the author. Contrarily, I loved these quips, which I saw as a positive trait.

Although, not every poem was stellar. For instance, “Screaming into the Night” was fair, and I related to his writer’s block. Also, I had trouble understanding the meanings of a couple of poems. Mostly, I was bothered by a few topics and disliked certain references, such as Ignition the remix. However, some may argue that it’s the art, not the artist.

I happily rate Snout Chasing Tail a 4 out of 4 stars. I believe poetry is meant to be read more than once; otherwise, its meaning will never be fully appreciated. Also, it aims to make you fidget in your seat, not bob your head in compliance. These poems have accomplished those goals. Therefore, a lower rating is undeserving. Also, I believe that this work was professionally edited.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who is looking for igniting poetry. If you enjoy political and philosophical arguments, then you should try it out. There is profanity and mild sexual mentions; so, I don’t recommend it to those who are sensitive to these topics.

Snout Chasing Tail
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Satirical poetry novel sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thank you for the great review!
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

This seems like a collection of truly unique and great poetry. I like that.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

TheGayOne12 wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 01:21 Satirical poetry novel sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thank you for the great review!
I think you'll find very funny! Enjoy! Thanks for your comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

cutemami wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 08:02 This seems like a collection of truly unique and great poetry. I like that.
I hope you get a chance to try it out. Thanks for your comment.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems to have a great collection of poems. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Laww
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laww.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laww »

I'm not the greatest poetry fanatic. However, your review might make me revisit my preferences.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This appears to be a good collection of nice poetries by the author. Readers interested in satirical poetries woukd like this book. Thanks for a nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I'm not a fan of poetry, I will pass on this. Thanks for captivating the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Sounds like a great read. Thank you for the review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

From the cover, I thought this would be a cartoon meant for kids, satirical poetry is at the bottom of the list of things I thought this book was. I don't usually read satirical poetry, but I would like to try one soon. Thank you so much for the review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

These poems are rich with insights and pleasure. Thanks for the review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I agree with you that poetry should be read more than once. I always find myself interpreting it differently each time. It is also a joy to discuss poetry with friends! Great review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 00:23 This book seems to have a great collection of poems. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Thank you for that nice comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

RayRuff wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 13:29 I agree with you that poetry should be read more than once. I always find myself interpreting it differently each time. It is also a joy to discuss poetry with friends! Great review.
I love poetry discussion! It's interesting to get everyone else's view. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”