Review of Now I See

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Review of Now I See

Post by Joyjim »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Now I See" by Sandra Leon Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Awful memories of the past and difficulties of the moment create shackles that keep one in bondage and sap one's joy. Now I See by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez is a poetry book covering a wide variety of subjects.

This book of 110 pages is divided into 4 sections, which include Tears of My Ancestors, The Mirror Before Us, At First Sight, and Through Heaven's Eyes. The first section contains poems about slavery in past generations, racism in modern times, and other similar topics. The second section contains poems that communicate the author's view of life. Some of the poems speak about freeing oneself from the bondage of the past, the effect of COVID-19 on our lifestyles, and so on. The third section is dedicated to love and poems about the author's relatives. The last section deals with spirituality. There are about 45 poems in the book.

I had a great time reading through the amazing poems in the book. Without the unnecessary burden of obscurity, the author shares deep thoughts in simple and clear words. Yet, the multi-layered nature of poetry is not sacrificed on this altar of simplicity.

There are many unforgettable poems in this book. One of these is the poem titled Be Uplifted on page 32. With strategic rhyming and well-chosen creative words, the poem encourages the reader to adopt an optimistic outlook on life. A line in the poem reads, "You can’t see the beauty of a forest When you focus on dead trees."

Another interesting poem is titled Simplicity in View. With the aid of literary devices which include consonance, metaphors, and rhymes, the poem describes the positive effects of the pandemic on our lifestyles. The first stanza of the poem reads, "It takes a village, But we have evolved into cities. With only fortune on our minds, We left our hearts behind."

I love the way the author used the poems as a tool to encourage positive qualities and discourage negative ones. In the poem titled Jealousy Managed, the author logically explains why envy and jealousy are detrimental.

Colorful and expressive pictures introduce each poem in the book. The mood of the pictures reflects the mood of the poem they introduce. This is my favorite feature of this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well edited. I have no dislikes about the book. The poems are relevant to current life situations. They clearly convey the author's emotions and feelings. Readers who love poems on diverse topics will find this book interesting.

Now I See
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

This is an in-depth review. Definitely worth reading.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Lovers of poetry would enjoy reading this. Great review.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

As much as I'm not a fan of poetry, this one sounds interesting and captivating. Nice review.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I love poetry, and this book sounds interesting I would really love to have a read. Thanks for the review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

There are many unforgettable poems in this book. One of these is the poem titled Be Uplifted on page 32. With strategic rhyming and well-chosen creative words, the poem encourages the reader to adopt an optimistic outlook on life. A line in the poem reads, "You can’t see the beauty of a forest When you focus on dead trees."
Wow. That's so sad. And so true. And since the topic of immigration is near and dear to my heart, I think I should read this book. I also always appreciate straightforward poetry. Thank you for including the quote. It really helps drive your point home.
Great review!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I found this book of poetry to be very nicely curated. I liked the images along with the accompanying poem. Jealousy Managed and I forgive were interesting pieces. I also liked the fact that there was a diverse collection rather than focusing too much on one topic, which for me would be like seeing dead trees instead of the beauty of the forest.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I like that the poems have their own pictures and sections, seems like it will be an easy book to navigate if there is a certain emotion or feeling that you want from the reading. Very nice review, thank you!
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by kiki2881 »

I like the book cover, it's minimalist but I see the detail. I also like that Sandra's book mentions Covid-19 and some political and social issues
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Although one can relate to each and every one of the topics described in this book, I personally do not like to read about them in poetry style.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like poetry but sadly rarely pick it up. It seems like the author covered a lot of topics and did it great. I am not interested in political subjects in poetry. Great job with review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a uniquely-written poetry book covering a wide variety of subjects from racism, slavery, past trauma, family, and growth through experiencing challenges. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review.Congrats on the BOTD.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I don’t really enjoy poetry, so unfortunately this book doesn’t really appeal to me. I hope others will enjoy!
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I am not a poetry lover, yet the intensity of these poems moved me. I love the poem Tears of My Ancestors. The poem is written with such feeling and emotion it flows over to the reader. Congratulations on book of the day.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Poetry is a great way of expression and an effective way to encourage positive thoughts and do away with the negatives. I like that the poems are on various themes. Thanks for an excellent review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”