Review of Healing Haiku, Poems, and Inspirations from the Great White North

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review of Healing Haiku, Poems, and Inspirations from the Great White North

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing Haiku, Poems, and Inspirations from the Great White North" by P.M.R.M. Messing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing Haiku, Poems, and Inspirations from the Great White North by P. M. R. M. Messing is a nonfiction book. In part, this book is a collection of haiku with pictures, but at the beginning of the book, the author shares his journey of discovering Jesus and healing. The author distinguishes between three-part recovery as the healing of the body, mind, and spirit. He also shares some uplifting scripture quotes. The Great White North in the title is a reference to Michigan and all the beauty and comfort the author found there.

My favorite part of this book is the author's honesty. It shines through these pages of raw and emotional words. There is something so relatable and human in the feelings I found in his poetry. I am no expert in haiku, nor do I believe I should have to be to experience all that the author is trying to convey. While the author admits the darkness he has gone through, the overall theme of this book is perseverance, hope, and positivity.

In the second part of this book, the author shares his poetry. He follows the traditional themes of haiku, which are flora and fauna and humans who are interwoven with them. I think the imagery is vivid and descriptive. There were moments when I had to reread some of the lines to absorb them better. While the words are lyrical, they are also very profound.

"Until peace is found  
The soul will never have rest  
Find the cedar grove."

This book is exceptionally well-edited. I didn't notice any errors. For that and all the previously mentioned reasons, I have to rate it with a perfect score of four out of four stars. The only negative thing I can say about it is that I wish the photos were of better quality. But that is not here nor there, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the poems.

I would recommend this book to all readers who enjoy reading poetry, especially haiku. Furthermore, if you are looking for an inspirational book and if you need some comfort, the narrative of this book will provide just that. While this book has religious themes and is best suited for Christian readers, I don't see any reason why other readers can't give this book a chance. Sure, Christian readers will relate to certain aspects of the book more, but the haiku part of this book is relatable to all.

Healing Haiku, Poems, and Inspirations from the Great White North
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for a wonderful and intriguing review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Lovers of poetry should enjoy reading this. Great review.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

It's a good thing discovering things that we never thought was in existence. I also love the way the healing were distinguished, we can be physically healthy but be broken spiritually. Great review
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

I must say, it was an intriguing review. But poetry isn't really my thing. Thanks for the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”