Review of Aunt Tina, Church Secretary, Be Careful What You Say Because She Writes Things Down

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Review of Aunt Tina, Church Secretary, Be Careful What You Say Because She Writes Things Down

Post by Patty Allread »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aunt Tina, Church Secretary, Be Careful What You Say Because She Writes Things Down" by Lorrie Hewitt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aunt Tina, Church Secretary, Be Careful What You Say Because She Writes Things Down is a one-act play written by Lorrie Hewitt. Sister Hewitt is known as "Aunt Tina" by her family and friends at the Glenco Institutional Missionary Baptist Church, where she is the church secretary. Sister Hewitt speaks to the congregation at her church and tells stories about the various members. She has a notebook where she has recorded the details and asks the Brothers and Sisters if they have ever really observed the people in the church. Aunt Tina then shares her observations.

I like that Hewitt opens and closes the play with gospel songs she wrote herself. The first is called "God is Love," based on 1 John 4:8. It sets the initial tone of the play and is immediately in contrast with the way Aunt Tina talks about the various members of her congregation. The song at the end is called "My Beloved Son," a singing rendition of Mathew 3:17. These hymns are like purposeful bookends to Aunt Tina's notebook full of petty, critical complaints. They, along with Pastor Fleming's quote from the Book of Romans, help deliver the play's message: we can easily forget the higher purposes we share in our spiritual endeavors when we choose to focus on the foibles, disappointments, and mistakes of ourselves and others.

Economy is necessary when writing a one-act play. The author does a great job of having a single focus and including nothing superfluous. The stage direction is straightforward, and it's easy to visualize how to execute it.

The script's only drawback is that you cannot fully appreciate songs without the music. Hewitt's play is available as an Audible recording, but the sample doesn't include the first hymn. I searched for her products online but didn't find where you could get the musical score if you wanted to put on the play and perform the hymns. They may exist, but I failed to find them.

I gave this script four out of four stars. It has all the expected features of a one-act play, and it has a clear, worthwhile message told with a good dose of humor. It would be fun to perform as a church-school play for teen groups or as the focus of a discussion group. The format of the lines differs from the format of a book and guides performers in how they should deliver the lines. I didn't find any errors in the script, which seems exceptionally well-edited.

I recommend this play to teens and adults who strive to follow The Gospel in their daily lives. It is also suitable for those interested in opening discussions about appreciating the good intentions of others, valuing forgiveness, and focusing on the true reason for gathering together in church as a congregation.

Aunt Tina, Church Secretary, Be Careful What You Say Because She Writes Things Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

I can already guess from the title, whoever this Aunt Tina is, she's a bit of a snitch. :lol2: :lol2:
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Currently Reading:

smoothcrowd wrote: 03 May 2022, 17:08 I can already guess from the title, whoever this Aunt Tina is, she's a bit of a snitch. :lol2: :lol2:
Oh wow, Aunt Tina happened to be the author. My apologies :lol: :shifty:
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Currently Reading:

It turned out to be a lovely gospel novel.
Not sure I would be reading it though, but thanks for the review.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

In what way exactly was aunt Tina writing about the brother's and sister's in her church.The gospel songs as an open and close act is much appreciated and is my main inspiration to reading this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Blendita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blendita »

I like this drama, will request elementary school to play it sometime.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”