Review of Lucky to be alive

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Lucky to be alive

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucky to be alive" by John lenning.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Lenning authors a poetic book named Lucky to be alive. In the first poem, the persona appreciates the gift of life and reminisces on his childhood. After five decades, he looks back and feels how fortunate he was for those experiences. The author names another poem: “It Can’t Make my Heart Sing.” It uncovers the power of money in today’s world. The persona recounts how cash can buy a judge and help one get scot-free even after committing a crime as heinous as murder. Another one talks about appreciating our friends. The narrator is happy because of the friendships fostered over the years. Even though those friends may backstab him, he understands life is full of ups and downs. Besides, human is to error.

I cherished the lessons some poems taught. One poem talks about having a bitter past. The persona informs us that your unpleasant childhood does not have to define your future. You can always turn your life around, dwell on the positives and leave the negatives.

I enjoyed one poem about hatred. There is so much negativity going on in the world. For instance, we have killings based on racial prejudice, religious differences, and gluttony for power. How would you feel when you find your family or friend has been murdered in the street because of hatred? Even worse, the governing authorities are on the front line of these injustices.

There are numerous things to disdain. Verses are not aligned accurately, and lines begin in between each other without warning. It was easy to get mixed up and possibly misinterpret the entire verse or poem. In addition, some lines are indecipherable! Some tenses are wrong, while other sentences are utterly ambiguous.

The numerous errors I encountered prove that the book needs a professional editor. Some of the grammatical flaws required the author to do mere proofreading before publishing the volume. The errors were uncountable! That being the case, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

I loved one poem called “The 1969 Ford Mustang.” The persona talks about a cherry red car he adored back in the day. He wished it was his because ladies lined up for the owner. He calls the Ford Mustang “a babe magnet.” Anyways, time flew, and better and newer car models have come and overtaken it. I recommend Lucky to be alive to anyone who appreciates poetry, be it historical, about car models, or contemporary life teachings.

Lucky to be alive
View: on Bookshelves
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Being alive is one of the blessings most people do not appreciate, going through so much difficulties and struggles and still standing Is some big blessing. I enjoyed your review, thank you.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

I'm not a huge fan of poetic novels but this is a good review. It made the book appear interesting.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review; I thought you were fair in your rating. The complete lack of editing is a disappointment. I don't think I would enjoy poetry with that many confusing errors.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

The title of this book made it seem like a sci-fi novel. Anyways, since I am a lover of poetry, i would definitely enjoy reading this one. Nice review.
STEPHEN ODONGO 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by STEPHEN ODONGO 1 »

The title of this book made it seem like a sci-fi novel. Anyways, since I am a lover of poetry, i would definitely enjoy reading this one. Nice review.
Wendy Findley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wendy Findley »

Truth! Life means nothing to people although I'm not a big fan of poems I like this
Youssef Rizk
Currently Reading: Murder in the Garbage
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Youssef Rizk »

Thanks for the review, you helped me to know if it worth reading or not, i don't really like reading something dosen't worth it and it gets me annoyed, the review is detailed, thank you
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

I'm not a huge fan of poetry but your review of this book sounds like this is not just a regular poem, especially the lessons taught. However, it's a shame that the book is poorly edited. Great review!
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

I don't like poems so I don't really have much to say.Thanks for an honest review though.
jossy2424
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by jossy2424 »

I can't condemn the poem because of your rating but taking a look at the first and second paragraph of your review, it shows that the poetic book is worth reading. Thanks for the review, you did a great job.
Kanabagahi Justus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Kanabagahi Justus »

The bok has some mistakes , maybe it can be as a result of typing error but I have liked the one talking about the sence of humor ,avoiding segregations based on religion and how friendships can build someone
In about shell this book has no problem en it's good cause its educative to those who are strong in mind
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

A poetic book based on life's experiences and advice. sounds lovely. thanks for the review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

A lot of real life issues are discussed in this book. Although I'm not a fan of poems, I think I'd be willing to give this book a try.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Being alive is an underrated blessing, many people wish to be that but that are no more. Awesome poem

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”