Review of an open wound

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of an open wound

Post by Damian Keyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "an open wound" by O Persaud.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Good poetry will make you think and challenge your ability to decipher a riddle of words with a compelling point. An Open Wound is that book, it takes you on this journey of metaphors, imagery, and figurative language, with stories about romance, relationships, and self-realization. O Persaud is the brilliant artist of these collections of poems that kept me captivated throughout my reading.

I’m a huge fan of poetry that tells a story; that’s why I chose this book. Finding love, losing love, and the aftermath of being apart from love is the journey this book will take you on. How O Persaud wrote these stories is well-structured and will have readers in their feelings on this emotional rollercoaster of a ride. The author is vivid in his details of what transpired with this love by being open and honest with himself and the readers.

An Open Wound is a cohesive piece of work where all these stories are connected through a common theme. I’m just going to say that it’s amazing how O Persaud structured this book. This is a book that you will have to read all the poems, because “The Apple Orchard” is a crucial poem that makes this puzzle of poems a whole. I don’t want to spoil anything, but you’ll see what I mean once you get this book.

If you’re a fan of poetry that follows a through-line, then I recommend this book to you. There are implied sexual performances in the writing, so only mature audiences should get this book. I can say with confidence that this book is exceptionally well-edited with no spelling or grammar errors. There are a lot of poems in this book that stood out to me, but I have to say that “Loved” is my absolute favorite. I automatically connected with that one, when I read the following quote, “Love is a constant because it is constantly changing. A good love changes your attitude and it’s always coming and going.”

I had such a good time reading these poems and following the author's emotional mind state. I’m going to give this book a high rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The stories were well-written, expressive, and vulnerable, and that is what I loved most about this journey. My biggest takeaway from the reading is to never settle for love. Just like the quote I mentioned earlier, love is always maturing and changing, so choosing the right spouse is important. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

an open wound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I love poem and with your review this book sounds interesting and captivating and I would definitely love to have a read. Thanks for the review.
Lynderella
Currently Reading: Seven Words You Never Want to Hear
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Lynderella »

I love poetry. This review is quite inviting and I would certainly take the time to delve into this book. Thanks for the review and thanks to the poet for sharing such an amazing talent - writing poetry is not an easy feat. I look forward to reading the various poems.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

Not a huge fan of poetry or poems but this review sure made me want to give the book a try.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Oluwanifesimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwanifesimi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oluwanifesimi »

The first statement of this review caught my attention, this is because I love poems and I like the way you review this book.
Your review is a very good one.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Your review is excellent and inspires me to read this book. "Love" is one of those quintessential themes in poetry.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

I'm not a huge fan of poetry and therefore would pass on this. However, I found your review very captivating. Well done for an amazing review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I love poetry and always look forward to reading poems. Your review is interesting a d highlights good points in the book. I will read this book in case I come across it.
Poetic Justice
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Poetry is usually a genre I struggle with, but this compilation of poems sounds like it is worth a try.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I love poetry so this is definitely something I'd enjoy reading. I love that the author talks about love in such a beautiful way as your favorite quote in your review. I'd definitely want to read more about the metaphors, illustrations and the like.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I usually enjoy poetry that tells a story a lot more and this book sounds to have a lot of themes. With love as the main topic, it’ll be emotional and inspiring. This sound captivating.
“Just keep swimming.”
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Telling a story through poetry is definitely an art worth giving a chance. I would love to see how the author approached this style. Congrats on BOTD!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. It's a surprise to find out that this is a collection of poems about love since the cover makes it look like a crime novel.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I’m not a fan of poetry so I’ll be skipping this. Great review though.
ONTLAMETSE O
Currently Reading: In Shadows of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by ONTLAMETSE O »

It's more like a story of God, mankind and love being told in a poetic form. Here the poet narrates thr story from the beginning in a biblical manner that God created a woman from the man's rip and that they both need one another. And if a one is absent especially a woman a man would feel empty and broken. Though they loved one another they couldn't help by hurt each other throughout their journey of love.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”