Review of A Soldier's Book of Poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of A Soldier's Book of Poems

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Soldier's Book of Poems" by E.J. Hardy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Soldier's Book of Poems by E. J. Hardy opens a window into the author's feelings, thoughts, and reflections on his life as a soldier. The book contains 28 poems, and, according to the author, he wrote them while he was in a deep depression of no longer being able to work and facing a deteriorating state of health.

At 17, Mr. Hardy left school to join the Army. After serving for 33 years, the Army released him from service for medical reasons. The poems in this book have diverse themes like family, parenthood, love, friendship, and death. The book opens with the piece, 'Window of Life,' where the poet acknowledges how we are curious to know the future but are also scared we may not like what we see. However, he asks if we would really want to change our destiny and be satisfied doing so. At the end of the book, poems like 'Is It Wrong?' reflect the author's depression at the time.

This title further opened my eyes to appreciate the sacrifices those in the military continue to make for us. From some of the poems in the book, I could easily understand why many veterans are diagnosed with PTSD. However, I love how the author's poems express that he doesn't have any regrets about serving in the Army. I also enjoyed how grateful he is for his wonderful family, especially his wife, who stood by him through thick and thin. I liked how some of the poems prompted me to look inwards and reflect on my life. The poem, 'A Spec in Time,' reminded me of the inevitability of death and why we shouldn't bother ourselves with what people say or think about us.

Furthermore, the poems in this book are well written. I admired the author's use of figures of speech, like metaphor and personification, to make his writing colorful and intriguing. In the poem, 'Far Away,' the poet writes, "I know that death is never far, but this does not change my stance, for euphoria fills my body when I ask the devil for a dance." So powerful! However, my favorite aspect of this book is the author's prioritization of the cohesion of his thoughts over rhymes. While I enjoyed the rhyming scheme in most of the poems, I especially loved that they never appeared forced or got in the way of my understanding of the poems and the author's expressions. As a result, it is easy to empathize with the author and appreciate his honest expressions.

In conclusion, I am happy to report that I didn't dislike anything about this publication. I found a few typos in it, but the book seems professionally edited. Hence, I rate A Soldier's Book of Poems a solid four out of four stars. I highly recommend it to fans of poetry, especially those interested in poems reflecting the raw emotions of an ex-soldier.

A Soldier's Book of Poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

An excellent book. I may not be a big fan of poetry, but I sure am moved by such a heartfelt book.
The army is more difficult than most of us think. The training alone can make you lose yourself, how much more, the actual battle.
A big salute to all the soldiers out there, they are real-time heroes.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a wonderful collection of poems. I believe the author open up his heart and speaks about his pain through his verses. Poetry is an effective medicine, in my opinion. Thank you very much for a great review!
Marshie Jade Mandac
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marshie Jade Mandac »

The book tells us that if we made a decision and it change our lives we shouldn't regret it because it makes us stronger no matter how hard it was became tougher like the soldier who wrote the book it shows to that a lot of people might not believe in you but some people will go with you through thick and thin
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

This is a beautiful review. I am not so keen on poems, but your review has enticed me to read this book. A soldier's sacrifice cannot be appreciated enough, and I am curious to know the authour's thoughts.
Leandre Nyathi
Currently Reading: The Intense Reality of Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leandre-nyathi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Leandre Nyathi »

I love poetry and I am particularly intrigued by the poet's life story. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thank you for a great review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

This is an amazing book. I find it amazing because it delves into the author’s life, we read about him at the lowest point of his life, and when things are good too. Livers of poetry will greatly love this.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Sounds like a great book. These poems were probably the best way the author could deal with depression. It’s amazing that he has chosen to put them in a book. This could bring healing to other soldiers because they can relate. Great review!
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

From your review, I would like to read this book. The author must be an intelligent person to put up this. Nice review
Anuradha Moghe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anuradha Moghe »

This is an excellent book. Sounds like a wonderful collection of poems. I loved to read this book. Resepected Author is done great job. Author must be an Intelligent person.Poetry is an best medicine.A big salute to all the soldiers,they are real-time heroes. Once again Thanks to Author.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”