Review of Memoirs of a Crank

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Review of Memoirs of a Crank

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of a Crank" by Rob Rudling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rob Rudling, like any other grown-up man on earth, has had a lot of life experiences, as a result of which many moments could replay themselves in his head. While in this state, he could derive new perspectives on life and learn lessons that he would want to curiously show to the public.

As a result, he has written the book Memoirs of a Crank, which contains a handful of poems, each of which explains a certain life perspective he so much cares for. He started with a poem titled Natures Cure (2020); In this poem, he explained his love for nature and his concern for nature's sustainability. The list goes on to 129 pieces of poems while he comes up with some of them because he wishes to play around with rhyming words—such as the one he titled Ice.

Memoirs of a Crank by Rob Rudling is a collection of poems that elucidate the experiences and the life's concerns that the author cares so much about—these include nature, drinks, mantra, Trump winning the election, and so on.

There are many positive aspects to this book. First, I want to thank the author for taking the time to compile the whole poem. The poems are fun to read with the presence of rhymes; the poems carry life's lessons that warn and guild—such is the poem titled Wealth as well as the one titled Charity; I cherish these two poems. Second, I love the beautiful outlook of the book's pages, as the author included pictures that artistically depict what each poem entails. I also find it as a sign of honesty, and I got a sense of attachment to the author because of his tone and his warning statements. For example, “if you want to write, then write” is a statement he made and clearly explained at the beginning of the book. This is one feature that added to my competence in writing. He pointed out that different readers might identify a different meaning in each poem while he directed readers to check the meaning he had attributed. The author indeed sounds humane rather than rigid. This is due to the interactive and conversational writing style he employed while summarizing each poem at the end.

Conversely, there are lots of punctuation errors, typos, and some cases of unnecessary capitalization in the book's texts. With this, I'll say the book is not professionally edited. It would need to be subjected to another round of thorough editing. Though the author's language is clear and conversational; however, as far as writing is concerned, literary rules that bind writing art should be followed.

All in all, the wrong use of punctuation and other grammar errors that were scattered everywhere in the book didn't deprive me of meaningful comprehension.

So, for the aforementioned flaws, Memoirs of a Crank earns a rating of 3 out of 4 stars from me.

I'll recommend the book to the lovers of poems out there. Specifically, if you like to read poems that detail the experiences and opinions of the author—and you want to know—you may try this one, Memoirs of a Crank.

Memoirs of a Crank
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I love that the author used poem to share his experiences i find it very unique and beautiful too. Thanks for your review
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

Ezidimma 01 wrote: 16 May 2022, 17:52 I love that the author used poem to share his experiences i find it very unique and beautiful too. Thanks for your review
You are welcome Ezidimma for sharing your thought on my review
rose203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose203.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by rose203 »

The poems are uniquely elevant to the current world state. Great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

rose203 wrote: 18 May 2022, 09:19 The poems are uniquely elevant to the current world state. Great review.
That sounds very true, Rose. And thanks for having your valuable thought here.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Poems are a great way to express deep thoughts. The sustainability of nature is an important topic that people need to pay more attention to. Thanks for mentioning it in your review out of many topics by the author.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

Chinonso Onwurah wrote: 18 May 2022, 15:39 Poems are a great way to express deep thoughts. The sustainability of nature is an important topic that people need to pay more attention to. Thanks for mentioning it in your review out of many topics by the author.
Thanks for that kind comment.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I love literary pieces laced with deep meanings. I always used to think poetry was complex but your review has simplified this book. Thanks for your summary.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, your review is so interesting. I have fallen in with the book based on your review. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”