Review of Who Are You?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Review of Who Are You?

Post by Joyjim »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Are You?" by Janina Butts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One's personality or attitude can influence personal relationships with others a great deal. Therefore, the journey to self-rediscovery is often rewarding. Who are You? by Janina Butts is a treasure store of poems that encourage good personality traits.

This book of 68 pages contains about 18 poems. Often, the author introduces each poem with a page or two of inspirational and informative prose. The themes of the poems include trust, faith, courage, gratitude, ego, and many others. Some of the titles of the poems are Letting Go, I Talk to me, You Gold, Who is Your Boss?, Chin-up, Mystery, and so on. The poem titled You Gold lifts the reader's spirit with praise and encouragement. It bolsters one's courage and self-esteem. The prose on page 51 also explains how to honor others and build stronger relationships.

I had a good time reading through this book. The poems were thoughtful and easy to understand. I learned much about life, how to treat others, and how to cultivate acceptable behavior. The book took me on a journey of self-rediscovery. The poem on page 64 analyzed how life is much more than counting dollars, calories, and pounds. It explains how to enjoy life.

My favorite aspect of the book is the parts written in prose. The prose on page 31 says in part, "Having a gut feeling and being transparent is an extremely powerful way of building strong relationships." In simple sentences such as these, it explains how to develop a trusting heart that freely interacts with others.

I also love the inspirational quotes placed on the introductory page of each prose. They reinforced the ideas in the poems. I particularly love the poem titled Greatness of Presence. The quote placed at the introduction of this poem helped me understand the focus of the poem and the true meaning of meditation. It readjusted my view of life's pursuits and highlighted the important things in life and how to focus on them.

However, I observed that the author used few literary devices. This made the poems lack the depth and mystery common to poetry. It also caused a lack of imagery and wordplay in the poems. This is my dislike about the book.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars due to the dislike above. It was exceptionally well edited. The poems were encouraging and informative. Readers who love either poetry or prose will find much to learn from this book.

Who Are You?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

It will be nice to have a look at this book. Self-discovery is a priority in my life. Thank you for the honest review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

It will be a good thing to read this book. You know, I’ll like to know more about myself. Great review!
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Who are you? Or rather, who am I? I'd a question that we need to really reflect on. Your attitude can influence the relationship you have with people. Though I would have preferred that a book containing such powerful themes as this one should not be written as poems. This book is still a wonderful book regardless. Thanks for the review.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Sincerely, this is an exceptionally written review that gives every reader a proper information about what to expect. Well done.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Poems that encourage good personality traits and helps one on the journey of self-rediscovery will be a beautiful and inspiring read.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

A self-discovery book sounds like a must-read for people. We don't know the whole of ourselves yet. Reading books like this will bring more of ourselves to light.
Joella Pereira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Joella Pereira »

It is important to know one self more than knowing the other person. As the first line from this review says about our attitude influencing our relationships with others, ones's attitude towards oneself is important to access what we feel about others. We need to know ourselves first and only then we will be able to know others better. It would be lovely to know myself. 😊 This book would help.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Encouraging good personality traits is worth doing because it'd help the minds of readers to see the importance of a good personality. I'd love to read this book. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”