Review of Society's Little Television

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Society's Little Television

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Society's Little Television" by Keith Levesque.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first scene opens with the poet struggling to make sense of human existence and the complexity of reality. It troubles Levesque and is evident throughout the poems. The poet explains our reliance on fate and calls the idea of "God" a fabrication. Midway, he veers off with a short tale of the struggle for a throne, the toil of a mother, and an old lady half-dead on the shore. Levesque describes the beauty of nature and passionate love. There is a lot more to relish in these poems.

Keith Brian Levesque's Society's (Little) Television: A Collection of Soliloquies, Thoughts, and Other Prose is a collection of about a hundred poems written in a personal style as soliloquies, personal opinions, and experiences. This collection of poems is divided into four parts, three of which are called "Scenes," and the other is the "Interlude" before the final scene.

Although most poems have no rhyme or syllabic pattern, they are colored with beautiful figurative language, touching moments of ecstasy and the depths of loneliness and despair.

The tone of the poems varies to a large degree from one to another, as the themes change from passionate love to nihilism and meaninglessness. Levesque employs beautiful imagery in one poem and the importance of self-reflection and then shifts attention to his selfishness.

There are a couple of recurring themes in Levesque's Society's (Little) Television: A Collection of Soliloquies, Thoughts, and Other Prose, like self-reflection, love, despair, and the search for meaning. Levesque's poems become instructive when he admonishes the reader on mending relationships, living and having fun, the destruction of vengeance, and the dangers of procrastination.

Also included in this work is the poet's perspective, as he delves deep into the perseverance and resolve of people even through dystopian times. While poems in this collection should be framed and placed prominently in the living room, others do not add to the book's quality. I think there is a massive gap in the quality of the poems. Some poems fail to connect to the reader, but it is a good read nonetheless. It is a negative point for me.

The poems I enjoyed the most were on the woman he loves. They were beautifully written in a flattering language and were enjoyable. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited, with minimal use of profanity. I recommend this book to lovers of poetry and anybody interested in the journey from despair through a passion for hope.

Society's Little Television
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I do love a poet's work and from your review, I believe that this will be worthwhile. Thank you for the beautiful review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

The book sounds philosophical and that is something I enjoy. I must put it on my shelf.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This book is more about human, and human are never easy to understand. I think I’ll pass on this!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”