Review of Titans of Corruption and Other Poems,

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of Titans of Corruption and Other Poems,

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Titans of Corruption and Other Poems," by Carl A. Robertson Sr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inequality, racism, poverty, and corruption are a few of the many ills that plague our ailing society. Many have lost hope for a better future and have resigned themselves to their hopeless situation. Titans of Corruption and Other Poems by Carl A. Robertson Sr. focuses on the effects of corruption and oppression on Blacks and poor white communities in the United States.

This book of 41 pages contains 15 poems. The poems center on spirituality, economic slavery, greed, kindness, deception by politicians, oppression by the wealthy, slavery, racism, and so on. The poem titled Indignation paints the sorrowful picture of the life of many who slave at jobs without fair remuneration. They remain in wretchedness, while laboring for the wealthy who only throw them crumbs. Another interesting poem titled[/i] A Child's Reasoning [/i]describes in colorful language how the world would have been a better place if adults reasoned like children. The poem reads in part, "A child’s wisdom consists of love, innocence, and virtue, charity is in their hearts..."

I found the poems to be well constructed. The author's descriptive skill made the poems intriguing. For instance, the disunity and vices among the Blacks were clearly described in well-crafted words in the poem titled Pernicious Phenomena, where the author said, "We have thrown away our History, we have no guide; the Divider has squandered our memories with drugs..." This feature made the poems quite enjoyable. It is my favorite feature of the book.

I love the writing style of the author. The poems broke away from the common quatrain arrangement of poems to one similar to prose. This allowed the author to freely express ideas without the constraints of lines or frequent rhyming. Despite this, the poems retained the feel and depth of poetry.

I love the illustrations that were included in the book. I particularly found the illustration on the cover page interesting, as it clearly depicts the central theme of the book. Also, on page 21, the author's use of bold subheadings highlighted important ideas and gave the poem a unique structure.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited. I have no dislikes about it. The poems span over a range of emotional issues, describing the situations that many face daily. Some of the poems soulfully appeal for a change of heart from readers. Overall, the poems flowed smoothly and are interesting. Lovers of poetry with themes of discrimination, greed, and corruption will find this book interesting.

Titans of Corruption and Other Poems,
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

The cover of the book is self-explanatory, it shares the idea and content of what the author conveyed in the poems. congrats Carl A. Robertson Sr.
Momtaz Matbouli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Momtaz Matbouli »

I like the idea of the book, the use of poems to describe the situation on earth, getting the away from the difficulty of explaining what he exactly referring to when he is talking about a specific group of people like "the dividers", giving the meaning to get the reader to understand the situation in depth without alot of explaintion or reffering to some specific group of people, but the reader will understand.
The topic is in time, talking about isuues we really suffer in our everyday life.
Giving some logical solutions that can't be done like if adults act like children, means as pure and honest as them explaining alot about the corruption we are living in.
After all I liked the book as a total, liked that the author doesn't have to use alot of words to get to the readers mind, I've enjoyed reading such a book, hope every reader enjoy it too.
KONE Atchoumou Vincent
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KONE Atchoumou Vincent »

I like thé style of this author. He is original. The words he used to express thé message, are simple and clear. And the colours on the cover side give us full sense. I like this Book.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

The books explores the vices in the society. It would indeed serve as an eye-opener. Great review.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Corruption is really killing the world today, people do not do things the way they are suppose to do it. I love how the author discussed about that in the book
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I love the imagination of the writer as he expresses himself using simple words. Nice review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”