Review of Black Stoicism

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review of Black Stoicism

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Stoicism" by Morris Junior.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This collection of poems and letters provides an insightful look into some of the seldom talked about issues that linger in society today. It explores the intricate details of black mental health, drug/substance abuse, difficulties of love, and dependence on family. The author applies his personal experience and process to self-discovery and love to distinctly and vividly create a mental check for readers so they can positively and pragmatically alter their lives. It gives validation to the reader's experiences which strengthens his determination and resilience in working towards a better life. This book lays prominence on the overall strength, ingenuity, and determination of Black people. It details their struggles as individuals and as a race and creates an understanding in the reader’s mind of these fundamental issues.

One of the best things about this book is the structure and manner in which it is written. It provides a study and an understanding of the ideas and issues stated in an in-depth approach. The author expresses the context in an unfiltered way, bluntly stating how things are without withholding critical information and knowledge. Another notable thing I like about the book is how the author exposed the reader to the value and positive effect of opening the mind to divergent thinking and continuous knowledge acquisition. He encourages readers to water down their egos and be willing to listen to elders and people with more experience and knowledge. Also, the book provided a sense of validation to people with similar experiences, letting them know to keep being optimistic and relentless in seeking a better future. I loved how the author spotlighted the exceptional achievements of Black people. Usually, Black people aren’t recognized for their accomplishments and contributions to society, but they are notably eulogized in this text.

The only thing I didn't quite agree with in this book was the use of the colloquial N-word. I am of the opinion that the word has a hateful and demeaning background to it and should not be used. It takes us back to the time when Black people were maltreated and condescended, and it should not be something anyone should carry on with.

The book has a few grammatical errors, but I can say it was professionally edited. The use of the colloquial language, combined with the errors I found in it, makes me rate Black Stoicism by Morris Junior three out of four stars. The author did an excellent job regardless of the negative points.

I recommend Black Stoicism to everyone who needs to learn more about the history of Black people, the community, and other concepts that this book outlines. They need to become aware of these ideas and pressing issues in the Black community and act on them.

Black Stoicism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

A lot with mental health problems will be able to relate to this. Thanks for an honest review!
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

An insightful, mind-opening book on the struggles of Black people. It's nice that the author validates the readers' experiences, I am sure that everyone - ignoring racial and cultural difference - have their own struggles. The title is "Black Stoicism", I wonder if the author approach his personal issues through stoicism. Thank you for the review.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Don't really like poem, but I think this one has a whole lot of intriguing aspect in it. I'm going to read this book someday.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”