Review of To The Queen

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of To The Queen

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To The Queen" by Devin layshon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“My thoughts and actions are to do right even if I’m not in her presence. I believe she feels the same way when she’s with me.”

This is a perfect description of what real love inspires. These are the words spoken by the narrator of To the Queen, Devin Layshon’s beautiful story told in prose and verse. When one falls in love, it should feel like a dream come true. To the Queen beautifully depicts the story of two people from very different walks of life falling in love.

A young warrior is doing his rounds at the Queen’s palace when he hears the sounds of laughter and the trumpeting of an elephant. He peers through the bushes to discover the Queen enjoying time playing with her pet elephant. While enjoying this charming scene, the warrior stumbles backward. Upon realizing that there is an intruder, the elephant charges, but the Queen orders him to stop. The Queen converses with the warrior and they begin to enjoy each other’s company.

Each story chapter is followed by a thought-provoking poem. The author also included some beautiful sketches. The book has a dreamlike feel. The writing style is more that of a storyteller than of a polished professional author.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. However, I felt that the battle scene needed retooling. It was the weakest point and detracted from the beauty of the rest of the story.

There are certain aspects of the writing that I might consider errors in another book, such as shifts from past tense to present tense. In this story, these are idiosyncrasies rather than errors. The stream of consciousness flowing from the narrator’s mind is in the past, the present, and the future all at once. What matters is the waking dream he is experiencing in the presence of his beloved.

However, there are also multiple objective errors as opposed to stylistic choices. Because of these issues, I am rating To the Queen three out of four stars. If these issues are corrected, this story deserves a four-star rating.

I enjoyed following the warrior and the Queen through their magical romantic journey. The poems professing the warrior’s devotion to his beloved were utterly lovely. I could picture this modern fairy tale being turned into a colorful animated adventure.

This book is a great choice for readers who enjoy brief, heartfelt stories that have not been overly polished. The rough edges of this book are part of its charm. The poetry flows in a lyrical, rhythmic fashion. I can almost hear drums being played and the sound of a waterfall with jungle creatures adding to the song with their various voices as I read the words.

Reading this book awakens the imagination. I would suggest that the author select an editor who is committed to maintaining the feel of the story while honing in on spelling and grammar errors. It would be a pity to lose the raw emotion of the piece.

The book is not a good choice for readers who prefer a long, intricate, detailed storyline or those who like their literature to be well-polished. Readers who prefer lengthy and concisely edited stories are advised to choose another book.

To The Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Good work by the author. The book talks about love, faithful love. I'd love to read this work of poetry. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”