Review of Persimmon Season

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Persimmon Season

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Persimmon Season" by Victoria Lerri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Persimmon Season is an anthology that consists of about forty poems. This book has five sections. The first section starts with a poem titled Princeton Orange. This poem shares the author's experiences and thoughts about eating a persimmon. The second poem that follows is about finance. It is a poem about the author's state of finance. Other poems in this book include Ode to Frank, Is a Blank Page an Invite or a Curse?, Saudade, Omnipresent, and many other thought-provoking pieces.

The poems in this book are about depression, death, loss, love, sexuality, family, and creativity. Each poem had a deep message it tried to pass, and I liked it. Victoria Lerri poured her emotions into these poems, and she wrote them beautifully.

I had some favorite poems in this book. In Narrow Streets in Amsterdam, one of the poems in this book, the author talked about creativity and how creators value their creations like treasures. Creativity is a gift, and it is a blessing to possess this gift. Another poem in this book reminded me to love other people even if they do not see their worth. I learned that I should love people unconditionally, tell them that I love them, and compliment them. Showing people that we love them brightens their day and makes them appreciate the gift of life.

While reading this book, I realized that one of the greatest lies people constantly tell others is that they are doing well. Depression is real, and it does not care if one is poor, ugly, or beautiful. The sad thing is that only a few people notice that their loved ones are depressed because they can see through the fake smiles or laughter that the depressed people wear on their faces. In addition, the poem about eating together as a family was heartwarming.

I liked many of the poems in this book because I could easily connect to them. I quickly found my favorite poems as I started reading this book. I liked the pictures that were used in this book. Also, some poems were handwritten and captured in a picture. These pictures added to a positive reading experience.

However, I disliked the fact that it seemed hard to understand a few poems in this book. I still think about them, trying to understand and relate to them, but these poems lacked clarity. I barely found errors in this book; it was professionally edited. The author kept the poems short and simple. Because I enjoyed reading this book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

This is a book for lovers of poetry, so I recommend this book to readers who enjoy poetry.

Persimmon Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I always love poems with deep meanings. I mean, that is what poetry should be. The themes of loss, depression and the like are heavy and anyone who get triggered should not read this book. I would like to read this book and see if there are particular ones I would connect to the most. But for now, I’ll take your word for it about Narrow Streets in Amsterdam.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Poems should have deep meanings in them, which means that the poems are excellent. I love the themes themes discussed in this poem. Thanks for the invite through your review.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I really don't love poetry, so this book is not for me. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”