Review of Prose, Cons, Sins, & Vins

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review of Prose, Cons, Sins, & Vins

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prose, Cons, Sins, & Vins" by Rachel Heintzel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prose, Cons, Sins, and Vins is a pocket-sized book of poems by Rachel Heintzel. The blurb on the back cover of the book describes it as a ‘grimoire’ (a magician’s manual) that contains the writer’s account of a ‘harrowing life-and-death encounter with a dangerous soul.' The same blurb explains that the ‘sins’ mentioned in the title are the poet’s thoughts and musings, while the ‘vins’ are experiences. Each of the thirty-five poems in the collection is a separate sin or vin, with its title announcing the category the poem belongs to. This system gives us ‘Vin the First: Savoring a Bite’, ‘Vin the Second: Amidst the Pages’ and so on. There are twenty-one sins and fourteen vins. So, does this grimoire succeed in casting a spell on the reader?

If you enjoy poetry that deals with inner pain and turmoil, then this collection might just work some magic on you. Its pages are filled with bleak imagery. In the writer’s own words, the poetry is ‘A rhapsody of suffering / A cacophony of despair.’ (page 28) One poem has the poet ‘Furiously writing / Sewing pain into page.’ (page 38) The line describes a process in which the writer’s inner turmoil is released by putting it into verse. This is poetry as therapy.

What is it that triggers such pain in the writer? Who is the ‘dangerous soul’ mentioned above? Clues are slipped between the lines. We are told that the poet was writing ‘scorching infernos’ (page 50) at the age of six but that no one picked up on these distress signals. The poet admits to being frightened and saddened by anything and everything, following this up with the confession that ‘I have been for years.’ (page 38) Is the dangerous soul, in fact, the writer’s own beleaguered psyche?

I liked that the poet varies the format and style of the poems. The favoured format seems to be rhyming four-line verses, but there are longer freestyle poems too. I also liked that some of the lines sounded a more hopeful note in amongst all the angst. The poet is able to find solace in a pebble, ‘A memento of a day / I shared with my love.’ (page 40) This serves as a reminder that ‘Though I am broken / I am not lost.’ (page 40)

The concept of sorting the poems into sins and vins, or thoughts and experiences, didn’t work for me. At times, I couldn’t see any difference in content between the two categories. I also felt that the use of ordinal numbers in every title became slightly irritating after a few pages. Additionally, two of the poems were assigned the same ordinal number. ‘Sin the Fifth: Possession’ is followed by ‘Sin the Fifth: Changing Stations.’

I am awarding this book three out of four stars, deducting one star on account of the points mentioned in the previous paragraph. I found only three errors in the text, so I had no issue with the quality of its editing. If you like poems written with feeling and honesty, you might well find this collection to your taste. The subject matter is quite dark, so I would recommend it only to older teenagers and above.

Prose, Cons, Sins, & Vins
View: on Bookshelves
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I clicked on your review because I was curious about what a vin was. Thank you for clearing that up. This poetry collection sounds a little too angsty for me, but I did enjoy your review.
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

This sounds like an interesting book.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This is absolutely my kind of book, I really can't wait to add it to my bookshelf and read it as soon as possible. Drama novels are amazing to read. Mind-blowing review.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

It's your review for me, more than the book. How you were able to beautifully craft out this review from a poetry with so much rhetorics is really deserving of an accolade. Nice one, congrats.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

It's your review for me, more than the book. How you were able to beautifully craft out this review from a poetry with so much rhetorics is really deserving of an accolade. Nice one, congrats.
fank313
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fank313 »

This collection of poetry seems to delve deep into the realms of inner pain and turmoil, offering readers a profound and potentially cathartic experience. The use of words like "bleak imagery" and phrases such as "A rhapsody of suffering / A cacophony of despair" suggests a raw and intense emotional journey within the verses.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”