Book Review - Palace of Illusions

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shruti rawat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book Review - Palace of Illusions

Post by shruti rawat »

Book Review of Palace of Illusions by Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni

I know the whole Mahabharata (the indian epic) by heart.But i never had imagined that the same story can be so different if narrated through panchali's perspective. Welcome to the Mahabharata. The great righteous war fought between the good and evil. But who is the one to decide what is evil and what is good. I can say that this is one of the finest books I have read till date. It makes you realize that a good deed for one may turn out to be disastrous for other.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

You did a good job on this review. Everything that you said makes the book sound interesting and want to read it. Obviously there are many books that deal with a war of good and evil. The question is what makes this one different? I will definitely have to keep this book in mind.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

This is definitely one of my favourite books of all time too. The writing had been gorgeous. The plot had been a refreshing twist on an age old story and I absolutely adored the Draupadi and Krishna in this book. Their bond was the best part of the book for me.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read and loved it as well. I liked the re-telling the Indian mythology and the writing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html

Post by BookWorm07 »

In that case Gali, You should try 'The Return of Ravana' series by David Hair. It is based on another Indian epic called Ramayan, but the author also puts his own spin on the original myth.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BookWorm07 wrote:In that case Gali, You should try 'The Return of Ravana' series by David Hair. It is based on another Indian epic called Ramayan, but the author also puts his own spin on the original myth.
Thank you, I will look for that series. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

This adaptation of the Mahabharata through Panchali's eyes is so imaginative. Not only does this book look at Draupadi from a different light, but all the characters are shown in different light, like Kunti's character for instance. I really enjoyed reading this book. Its one of my all time favourite mythological adaptations.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”