Review of Me and my Thoughts

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Review of Me and my Thoughts

Post by Becca Olsson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Me and my Thoughts" by Ekayen Essien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Me and My Thoughts, author Ekayen Essien stays in-line with their self-described “realist view”. At roughly one poem per page, the author explores daily thoughts that are both specific to their perspective and broad enough that many readers would be able to relate to Essien’s perspective. Essien explores topics that range from romance, to race, to thoughts on the meaning behind colors. Some poems rhyme while others feel as if they have no rhythm and are simply the author’s thoughts strung together. Whatever type of poem a reader is searching for, it can be found here in Essien’s poetry log.

One major positive aspect of this poetry book is that, although the author describes their work as realist, this does not mean that it lacks emotion. The author conveys strong emotion through very descriptive language. One example of this is a line in the poem titled “About to Rain” which goes, “The wind blows with anger and the trees wave with no sense of direction (page 6).” I have seen the beginning of many storms, but I have never thought of such an expression of the wind and the trees.

The author has the ability to make me feel emotions right alongside them. There are many poems that express hope at potential romance and I feel hopeful with them. Then the tone turns sad and lonely as the author describes the heartache of being abandoned by love. Because these poems are written over the years with large gaps in between, we see only glimpses into their life and how it’s passing.
I found no negative aspects. Poetry can be difficult to judge at times, but I truly find only positive aspects. The author leaves all their emotion on the pages.

I rate this book four out of four stars. This rating is based on the above positive aspects and generally the power that the poems have to evoke emotion. I found some typos, but not enough to take away a star rating and, therefore, believe this book to be professionally edited.

There is some explicit language and some vaguely described sexual scenes. Although it’s not written in an outright manner, I would still recommend this book to mature readers only. Of those readers, though, I would say this book has a poem for everyone, even if they’re only looking to be entertained or to see daily life through a new lens. The author does a wonderful job providing an opportunity to help readers look around them and see their world through new descriptors.

Me and my Thoughts
View: on Bookshelves
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

I have always enjoyed reading poems. Emotions can be found in any kind of writing. For me, I poems have so much emotion. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”