Review of Jesus the Harmony

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Jesus the Harmony

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jesus the Harmony" by Gracia Grindal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Harmonies combine the four gospels into one narrative. The four gospels, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John, tell the life of Jesus differently: the same story, with different chronology and emphases. Harmonies are used to tell the story as one book, facing the differences but explaining them.

Jesus the Harmony: Gospel Sonnets for 366 Days by Gracia M. Grindal contains sonnets that serve as brief sermons. According to the author, "These sonnets are not prayers and are not often personal; rather, they are reflections on the Gospel passages..." (Page xvii) The sonnet starts from the conception of Jesus through his birth, the start of his ministry, his death, resurrection, and ascension. Each sonnet rhymes and provokes thoughts. The scriptures from which they are adapted are written at the bottom of each sonnet.

Some things endeared this book to me. At the beginning of the book, the author took her time to explain what harmony means and the history of harmony, giving dates and names of harmonizers. The author also took time to explain the sonnet at the beginning so that readers would know what to expect. For this reason, if you are new to this kind of book, Gracia M. Grindal made it easy for you to understand it and have the best experience using it. I like that the author made room for leap years by making the sonnets 366.

My favorite sonnets were "The Genealogy of our Lord," "The Prodigal Decides to Go Home," "Jesus Unbraids His Disciples," and "These Were Written So You Might Believe in Jesus," amongst others. These four sonnets hit differently for me. I like how short each sonnet is and how it draws the reader in.

The only negative aspect I noted while reading this book is that it is a very long book, but I understand why. The book is not meant to be read all at once. One sonnet is meant to be read daily for the whole 366 days. Each sonnet in itself is short. Therefore, this negative aspect did not affect my rating. Till I finished the book, I didn't come across a single error. This means that this book was exceptionally well edited. It was one of the reasons I enjoyed the book so much. My flow was not interrupted by errors. For all the above reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It rightly deserves this rating.

These sonnets made the gospels easy to access and digest. It is an excellent book to use for devotion in order to reflect on the gospels. I recommend this book to lovers of Bible stories and Christians in general. This book will be a lovely companion for anyone who picks it up throughout the year.

Jesus the Harmony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amandaruth Ama
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

What a good companion for christians through out the year. The author of this book is very thoughtful. This is evident in how she made the sonnets 366 days, giving room for leap years.
I enjoyed reading this review!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

These sonnets seem like sweet texts of the gospel of Jesus. Such book are read to entice the soul of a person. Your review of this book is easily understandable and I do not need further explanation. I would love to read this book if I get the chance. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Sonnets used to tell stories? Interesting! It's also interesting that the book harmonizes the four gospels. Whereas this has been a source of controversy. Good review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

The idea of taking four gospels and telling a story out of them is fantastic. This book will be great for people who are looking for a more explainable version of the bible that's based on reflection. Thanks for the review.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

The gospel was written from different perspectives but this book unites the whole stories into one. I will definitely check it out. I love books that creatively tell Bible stories.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Jesus the Harmony by Gracia Grindal is a great book that unifies the different account of the life of Jesus. I recommend to book to Christians.
You are a good reviewer, I applaud your honest review.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

It's nice, integrating the first 4 Gospels of the New Testament into one book. I'll like to read this book. Thanks for the review.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I am a dedicated Christian and a book like this is something I don't let slip off my hands. This book is an intriguing read that explains the early book of the new testament. Thanks for the review.
Lay-cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lay-cee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Lay-cee »

Awww, I'd really love to read this book, I really love the harmony idea of the four gospels integrated, I like that the sonnets made the gospels easy to access and digest, I really like the whole concept, great review
Lay-cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lay-cee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Lay-cee »

Awww, I'd really love to read this book, I really love the harmony idea of the four gospels integrated, I like that the sonnets made the gospels easy to access and digest, I really like the whole concept, great review
Donald Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I've always seen that the gospels were different in a way, however, a sonnet that would reconcile them into one is definitely worth the read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

I am not religious so this looks like something I won't be looking forward to. However, I love your review.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

Merging four gospels to illustrate Jesus's life in the Bible is a fascinating one. It will create room for more insights into the life of Jesus. This book will be a great read for Christians. Nice one
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Wow! Narrating the life of Jesus in the form of sonnets is beautiful indeed. Rhyming sonnets are very poetic. I love reading sonnets, so I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for this lovely review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”