Review of The American Pepperpod

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ola Aina 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-aina-2.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Review of The American Pepperpod

Post by Ola Aina 2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The American Pepperpod" by Teresa Whitehawk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

L. Teresa Whitehawk's book is one that is on a mission to stir different emotions in readers and get them in touch with their humanity, and Linda's story is one every reader should dare to explore.

The American Pepperpod is a book that feeds the soul. This is the first and ultimate aspect of the book I love. As I followed the protagonist through her religious journey, life experiences, and personal encounter with God, I could empathize with her and feel her emotions. The loss of her mother, her struggle with her identity, her years of being abused as a child, and then in her marriage. It was a lot for an individual to go through. Another aspect of the book I am impressed with is the fact that it is informative. For example, the character gives in-depth analysis and description of the Mormon religion. Readers get to also see the nature of a Victorian American society deeply rooted in sexual misconduct, abuse, and patriarchy. The book is also one that is bound to make readers question their religious beliefs.

Linda's spiritual journey contributes to and shapes her self-discovery and her writing. She goes through different phases of her personal relationship with God while she is in the Mormon church and after she leaves. She mentions some beliefs that were practiced, which didn't sit well with her and which she felt were not biblical. The division of the book into sections of short stories about people in the main character's life, journal entries that majorly recount her divorce and excommunication from the Mormon church, poems, and plays is an aspect of the book which is refreshing. It also aided in easily grasping events in the chronological order in which they occurred.

The use of simple and clear language made the book easy to read, and I didn't find anything in the book to term as 'negative.'

I found only three punctuation errors while reading. However, this does not undermine the book in any way, and it earns a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend The American Pepperpod to people who struggle to define their identity in society as a result of a traumatic childhood and life experiences. The book will serve as a healing balm to victims and survivors of sexual abuse, especially those who find it difficult to confide in anyone about their situation because of the fear of stereotypes. It will give them wings to break free from their traumatic experiences because Linda's growth will inspire them.

The American Pepperpod
View: on Bookshelves
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

Thank you for your honest review. I love the audience you recommended. This seems like a book I might enjoy. Great review!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This seems like an empowering book for those with childhood trauma. Thank you for the excellent review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”