Review of Furrow

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Furrow

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Furrow" by Anne Jones Weitzer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Furrow by Anne Jones Weitzer is an anthology about dreams and promises. It illustrates the poet's spiritual journey towards love and understanding of the human being's complexity. Also, the poems present themes such as solitude, marriage, betrayal, and romance.

Briefly, the fifty poems of this book focus on a woman's attempt to love, her doubts, and her expectations from relationships. The poet emphasizes love's decadence and life's demands and illustrates some of her memories from Manhattan. Also, she details her style, beliefs, and regrets and offers a glimpse into the difficulties of American society.

I liked the narrative poems that focused on the life cycle and admired the complexity of Anne Jones Weitzer's story. I appreciated that the poet addressed topics concerning women's issues and insecurities. For instance, I liked how she highlighted men's infidelity and unreciprocated feelings in the poem "Banked" and portrayed the idea of marriage in "First Marriages." Also, I enjoyed the art and literature references, especially those about Edgar Allan Poe's poetry.

Another positive aspect of this anthology is the abundance of figurative language. I loved Anne Jones Weitzer's sharp-witted word associations like life's "miscarriages of truth" and how she compared human emotions to colors. Also, I admired the poet's capacity to produce emotion for the reader through her inner thoughts and mixed feelings expressed in her verses. For example, I empathized with her fear of rejection, doubt about faithful partners, and anguish in her emotional turmoils.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I rate this anthology 5 out of 5 stars because I liked the meter of the poems and the metaphors used by the poet. I appreciated Anne's ambition and loved her analysis of American society's issues and her questions about the partnership between a man and a woman. I liked that she outlined the depravity of human beings, and my favorite poem was "Metaphysical Epigram." Also, Furrow was exceptionally well edited since I discovered no single error while reading it.

I recommend this book to fans of dramatic poetry, especially those eager to discover the story of a woman who lives for anticipation and looks for reciprocated feelings from the men in her life. It is perfect for people who enjoy poems with philosophical stances and topics about love and betrayal but not for those who do not want to read about human suffering. Also, Furrow is suitable for a large audience because it has no profanity or erotic content.

Furrow
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I really love poems. And this one caught my eyes and I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I admired Anne's ambition and adored her analysis of the problems in American culture and her inquiries into the relationship between a man and a woman. You successfully captured the essence of the book in your review. Congrats!
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I admire Anne's writing style and subtle revelation of a woman's struggle. Your review has made a lot of blurry aspect of the book clear.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”