Review of The Ballad of Lady Vigilance

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Review of The Ballad of Lady Vigilance

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ballad of Lady Vigilance" by Alexej Savreux.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Ballad of Lady Vigilance by Alexej Savreux is a drama and poetry book. The book is divided into two chapters. The first one is called "Book 1: The Apellation Poeta ~ the MO transplant Stussy Kid & his Idiosyncratic Gutter Poet Notebook Epic." The second one is called "Book 2: As the Sun Weeps." The book is a unique piece of art. The writer goes for freestyle poetry, not the usual rhyming kind. He discusses many topics from the point of view of an eccentric. You can sense that in the confusion and inconsistency throughout the book.

I like that when you go through the pages of this book, you can get strong feelings. I believe this only happens when the writer pours his heart into what he's writing. Most of all, you'll feel pain and anger. You can also feel some refusal to accept reality. The end of the book does advise some smiling, though. Alexej is a very resourceful man with a wide range of experiences. He studied linguistics in college. That is definitely something you can see through the book. I have to praise the cover of the book. When I look at it, I see warmth and beauty.

I find it really hard to rate art in general, and reviewing a poetry book can be very tricky. It's like a painting; we will never all look at it the same way. The book was written over a period of 16 years. It started when the writer was 16 and was finished when the writer was 32. I see it as a collection of his thoughts throughout the years. Unfortunately, I found it hard most of the time to get the idea. I couldn't see what was behind the words. The vocabulary used added more difficulty. The writer used a very neat and unusual vocabulary that I'm sure not everyone can easily get.

I salute the writer's experience, but I can't decide if it's me or the book. Therefore, I rate this book three out of five stars. The editing of the book is exceptional. I couldn't notice any errors while reading the book.

This book is not for everyone. I recommend this book to people who are really clever with poetry. It also needs someone who has a very good vocabulary stock or doesn't mind searching for a lot of words. For me, it can be distracting, but I know lots of people really enjoy this and find it educational.

The Ballad of Lady Vigilance
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”