Review of Shadows

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Shadows

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows" by William Stephen Edwards.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

And then, one day, our time here on earth will end; just like a shadow in the dark, so will our words and actions. This insight I got from the book titled Shadows by Williams Stephen Edwards. The book contains 237 diverse poems ranging from love to memories to tributes, the weather, and many more. Please read this book to journey with the author on how he uses words to describe events and grandeur in the world of poets.

Before this book, I hadn't read any books on poetry or prose, and I must confess that I am impressed with my first. I was almost discouraged by the number of poems in the book, but I got hooked while reading it, and in no time, I had finished reading the book. I am now a fan of prose and look forward to reading more books by the author.

One thing I appreciate about the book is how the author expressed himself without restrictions or limitations. The way he moved from one poem to another in no particular order or sequence made the book interesting and easy to read. For example, in one minute, he is talking about a relationship; in the next poem, he is talking about death; and in the next, he switches to his school days. I liked this about the book; even the poem he wrote about gibberish, playing with words, and writing jargon was something I enjoyed. I want to believe this freedom is what poets enjoy, which is a big worry reliever for them.

I hold several poems in the book dear to my heart, but Christine, Suzanne at 18, and Julie in the nursing home are my favourites. In Christine, this line: "From the day of your birth, I cannot measure all the joy I've had "Since God gave me the chance to be your dad," gave me chills and brought back memories of how my mom looked at me and how I look at my son in the same way. The poem Julie in the Nursing Home made me emotional and sad. It is sad how one unfortunate occurrence took the essence of life away from her. The book was a wonderful read for me, and I enjoyed reading it.

I didn't dislike anything about the book. There are a lot of poems to read and select from based on individual lives or preferences. Furthermore, I didn't find any errors in the book, so it is exceptionally well-edited. Therefore, I give it a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to young adults, lovers, and parents who want to pick up lines for their partners and children. Lovers of poetry and literature would also enjoy reading the book.

Shadows
View: on Bookshelves
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

I wonder if I might also be swayed over to liking poems if I read this being that the poems are about different topics/themes. Well done on the review.
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

The book sounds interesting to me, especially the insights you got from the book, "And then, one day, our time here on earth will end; just like a shadow in the dark, so will our words and actions". This is intense and shows the book has a lot of valuable lessons to gain. Nice review.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is quite interesting the way the author used poem to describe the end of the world. I’m not a fan of poems so I’ll recommend this to people who love poems. Nice review!
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

And then, one day, our time here on earth will end; just like a shadow in the dark, so will our words and actions.
This indeed is true. This is an informative book that will bring readers to light about life. Thanks for the great review.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

I don't like reading poetry but your review piqued my attention and I look forward to reading this poem. Nice review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Your introduction brought tears to my eyes. Of a truth one day our time and season on earth will end. I will read this book to know what happened. Good job.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I was taken aback by the first few comments by the reviewer. It is indeed true, one day, an end would come to our journey on Earth. The question that lies to me is; What is life after death like? Is judgment real? Does life flashes before our eyes on the brink of death?
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

i have always been a fan of poems especially those that pierce the soul and resonate in the heart this book sounds like a nice piece
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

I am currently in the middle of this collection. Speaking of your opinions in the review, I absolutely concur. The words that I have seen in Shadows have made my heart heavy on more than one occasion.
Fabulous. I am looking forward to catching the next review that you compose. Thank you.
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, book II: Spring by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Jay Alex »

One thing I appreciate about poetry is how the writers are able to express themselves. The title is self"Shadows" speaks volume and I look forward to reading the book. Welldone.
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP

Post by TrishaCleve »

I agree with your statements; The terrain of one's 'Shadows' has many slippery slopes to navigate.
Thank you for taking the time to read this review. '
Trisha Lee
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP

Post by TrishaCleve »

J.A.
Thank you for reading my review.
I thought similarly when I saw the title 'Shadows.' it is my belief that in every person's mind there are areas of thought that lie in the shadows, waiting for their turn in the light. This collection of thoughts is a good example of the many different types of ideas and sentiment one has patiently waiting in the shadows of ones mind.
I hope you read and enjoy this book as much as I did.
Thank you again.
Trisha Lee
Almahalawy1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Almahalawy1 »

"Shadow" is a captivating and thought-provoking poem that explores the profound impact of darkness and the hidden aspects of our lives. Through vivid imagery and lyrical language, the poet delves into the complexities of the human experience, shedding light on the shadowy corners of our existence. With its concise yet evocative verses, "Shadow" invites readers to reflect on the interplay between light and darkness, revealing the beauty and mystery that can be found in the depths of our souls.
Almahalawy1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Almahalawy1 »

"Shadow" is a captivating and thought-provoking poem that explores the profound impact of darkness and the hidden aspects of our lives. Through vivid imagery and lyrical language, the poet delves into the complexities of the human experience, shedding light on the shadowy corners of our existence. With its concise yet evocative verses, "Shadow" invites readers to reflect on the interplay between light and darkness, revealing the beauty and mystery that can be found in the depths of our souls.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”