Review of Raw Flesh Flash: The Incomplete, Unfinished Documenting Of

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Review of Raw Flesh Flash: The Incomplete, Unfinished Documenting Of

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raw Flesh Flash: The Incomplete, Unfinished Documenting Of" by Donovan Hufnagle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Every tattoo has a story, and every tattoo has a bunch of feelings behind it. Donovan Hufnagle is a tattoo artist who has spent years in this career. He saw and experienced a lot of human stories painted on human flesh. He decided to collect those experiences and let them out in the form of poetry. He shares these experiences with us through his book. Raw Flesh Flash: The Incomplete, Unfinished Documenting Of is a unique piece where you'll find lots of feelings. The writer shares not only poems but drafts as well. You'll find draft papers scanned in the book. You'll find handwritten surveys and interviews. You'll find many personal tales to be told.

The personal touch in this book is what I like the most about it. Although I couldn't always read the handwritten pieces, I found them touching. The interviews with people who had tattoos were a detail that I liked a lot. They were one of the highlights of the book for me. I would've wanted to read all of them instead of them being cropped, though. I didn't like the sudden cut that happened. I know it was meant to be like that, but my curiosity would have preferred them to be whole.

I didn't like it when I didn't get what was meant to be said. I could clearly feel emotions, lots of them, but I didn't always understand the story. I also would have preferred a typed copy accompanied by the handwritten copy because I really wanted to understand what was written. The book had many parts that seemed like drafts, which added a personal touch to the book. I could see the main theme for the writer, which was that he could cover his feelings well and not show the sadness he was feeling. I can't forget to mention the excellent editing of the book. I didn't come across any errors while reading it.

I rate this book four out of five stars. I liked the expression of feelings and the sharing of those experiences, but I would have liked to see more clarity. I would highly recommend the writer write a book where he tells those stories. I know I would love to read that.

I recommend this book to poetry lovers and people who can read between the lines. This is not the usual form of rhyming poetry. It uses a free style and gives a unique experience.

Raw Flesh Flash: The Incomplete, Unfinished Documenting Of
View: on Bookshelves
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

Well-written review, I will add this book to my shelf soon.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Every Tattoo has a meaning and I will love to read about their meanings. Thank you for an amazing review.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

The title of this book brought me to the review, I was sure the title was wrong but it’s not! Great review and the book sounds very interesting.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”