Review of The Death Song of Wen'etra

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Review of The Death Song of Wen'etra

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Death Song of Wen'etra" by Wesley R Turner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Death Song of Wen'etra by Wesley R. Turner tells the history, culture, and religion of the fictional Ushani people, their deity, and their heroes of old. The Ushani people were a long-forgotten tribe from the Middle East who died out. Archaeologists found the remnants of their history and culture on stone tablets and translated them. These findings make up the words of this poem.

The poem begins with the Ushani account of the origin of humans. They believed that Wen-Eba (their deity) created humans from trees and filled them with colour, light, and love. However, the people rebelled and turned away from him. Their greed and corruption led to the awakening of a dark and evil force called Wen’etra, who sucked the world of colour and light. Men began to war amongst themselves and forgot how to love. However, Wen-Eba didn’t forget his creation and gave many messages of hope through his prophets, which then came to pass in the form of Aedliss, the hero of the Ushani people.

I loved the illustrations in the book; they were beautifully and richly done. They also added depth to the stories. The author mentioned that they were done by his wife, and I commend her work. The poems flowed chronologically and were perfectly written and edited with no errors. They were also easy to understand. The author included a prologue which recounted the Ushani history and how archaeologists discovered it. It also explained the meaning of some Ushani names. I found this very helpful because when I started reading the poems, I got confused with some of them, especially Wen-Eba and Wen’etra, so going back to the prologue helped me understand this work better.

I got so immersed in the story of the Ushani people that I forgot that this was a work of fiction for a second. With the way the author wove the story, I could have sworn that the Ushani people actually existed. In fact, I had to go back to the author’s notes and use Google to confirm that this was a work of fiction. This is a testament to the author’s superb writing. I also love reading about different cultures and traditions, fictional or otherwise, so I really enjoyed this book. There are many similarities between the Ushani religion and Judaism and Christianity, especially in their belief in one deity, the trials Aedliss went through, his followers, his healing powers, and his ultimate sacrifice. I liked that the author drew inspiration from these other religions because it added authenticity to his story of the Ushani people since they all originated from the same geographic location.

I didn’t dislike anything about this book, and I’m glad to give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is a quick and easy read, and I’ll recommend it to readers interested in learning about fictional cultures and those who love poetry.

The Death Song of Wen'etra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I admire fictional culture books. It interests me to read them and get to know what our ancestors did and their beliefs. I might consider reading the book. Nice review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Poems ain’t really my thing but I kinda love the sound of this one.
Thank you for the well-constructed review.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I really like books about other countries and historical fiction and I think this book might really appeal to me. Nice review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

From the title of the book, I think the book will have a lot to educate the readers. I feel we should expand our knowledge and policies of other countries. Good job.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

AN EXCITING BOOK BY BRIAN SNOWDEN INTENDED FOR LOVERS OF TRAVEL, CULTURE, HISTORY AND MEETING.
I APPRECIATED THAT WILLIAM HAS BEEN ABLE TO ADAPT IN SPAIN DURING THIS PERIOD AND HAS ESPECIALLY SUCCESSFUL HIS INTEGRATION IN SPAIN.GOOD REVIEW
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

A poem? Wow! I'll give it a try.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Mnnn g wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 10:11 A poem? Wow! I'll give it a try.
Hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”