Review of Right Now Revelation

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Review of Right Now Revelation

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Right Now Revelation" by Elluntate Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Some blacks know their history, and some do not. What happens when a protagonist believes it is his duty to remind black people of their history and legacies while also running a general commentary on life and human nature in general, with a dash of Christianity thrown in for good measure? Right Now Revelation by Elluntate Bell is a collection of poems that majorly focuses on black history and reclaiming black legacy. Starting from the first poem, "Restoration," the author canvasses various emotions, from regret to hope to even heartbreak. Some other topics are also explored in this book, such as marriage and family.

From what I could glean from these poems, the bulk of the message seems to hinge on a man who believes that his purpose on earth is to remind blacks of who they are as a people and to build a future where blacks rise to greatness again. Some of the poems in this book spoke strongly to me, while others felt bland. Poems such as "four-lane crossing" and "transformation" struck a chord with me, evoking some strong emotions. Also, others, like "wilted flower," made me think and reflect deeply on the essence of human relationships.

Some others, such as "Effective Team," gave me some insight into the author's mind frame through such lines as, "My way of coping, writing rhymes." In a way, this clarified why all of the poems were filled with rhymes. Another example was the poem "Buy Low, Sell High," where a line says, "What would happen if I paired this poem with a beat?" This confirmed my feelings that the poems were primarily written like lyrics to a trap or rap beat. Finally, I found some poems quite romantic, like "Beauty," which it seemed the author wrote for his wife. Some left me sombre, like the poem titled "Reflections of a Son." In summary, I felt a lot of ways reading this book, and I believe the author achieved his goal of sending a specific message in most of these poems. Also, I found very few errors in this book, which suggests it was professionally edited.

However, as for the negative aspects of this book, after the initial delight of rhymes in the first few poems, the constant rhyming became annoying. It seemed like the messages the poems were supposed to pass were distorted to ensure that the last words rhymed. Secondly, I found most poems lacking in imagery and other poetic devices. While some of the lines in the book were evocative, the general feel of the poems, most times, didn't leave a feeling worth remembering.

Finally, as much as I enjoyed reading poetry, I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. A lot was left to be desired with this book. Perhaps if the author had reduced the number of rhymes in the book and instead focused on sending his messages in a way that left them imprinted in my memory, I might have rated the book higher.

If you happen to be black and love poetry and black history, then this book might be a good fit for you. If you also happen to be someone who tends to have solid convictions about how things should be, especially regarding race and a bit of Christian religion, then you might find this book enjoyable too. Enjoy. 

Right Now Revelation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ola-mind ojo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-mind-ojo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ola-mind ojo »

I would love to read the book Right now revelation,for it focussing on the history of the black , which am also one of , and the reclaiming of the black legacy.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Though poems are not my genre, I will like to add this to my shelf because of the themes mentioned. Thanks for sharing this well detailed review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”