Review of One of Them

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of One of Them

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One of Them" by George Cutler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The yellow tang on the cover of this collection of poems immediately made me smile. Perhaps it reminded me of Dory, its blue counterpart from Finding Nemo. The title, One of Them, further reinforced the uniqueness and allure of the contents curated by the author, George Cutler.

These 102 poems glided smoothly through 11 sections, which included headings such as “Nature Poems,” “Experiences,” “Memories,” and “Humorous.” As is my usual practice when reading poetry anthologies, I scanned the headings of the entries and picked out those that captured my attention. Without hesitation, the poems “Sally Final,” “Christopher and Bleecker Streets,” and “Whoopi” made my list. Could he possibly be referring to the Whoopi? To find out, grab your copy of One of Them and enjoy this compilation of reflections.

Through his writing, Cutler reveals a multi-talented man who loves his family and enjoys the company of others. Given his life experiences, it appears he is a member of the silent generation, and I appreciated his scope of reflections as I encountered them in the lyrics. In “Recall,” he referenced using a payphone, and I stopped for a moment to reminisce about this structure that has quietly disappeared from the curbsides. I also marveled at the significance of the parade that the 7-year-old Cutler attended to celebrate an unprecedented (and not since duplicated) run for a third presidential term in “The Passing of FDR.”

There were several entries about his family and work in the arts, including engagements as an illusionist, stand-up comedian, and writer. Even the presentation of an occasional poem reflected his artistic flair. Two examples were “Falling” (in the shape of an incline) and “How My Poem Is Done” (in the shape of a tree). His musings provided a sweeping peek at this New Yorker and his world.

I could identify with the author’s observations on life, such as recognizing traits of a long-departed family member in the face of your child or the willing trade of a youthful body for memories of worthwhile accomplishments. But in my reading experience, I never encountered a poem that moved me such that I knew I had grasped its essence. I do not gauge the quality of a collection by the number of entries that have this effect, only that it happens. Filling in the blanks with one’s own ideas makes a stranger’s poetry personal, but many questions kept me from connecting.

For instance, in “A Study,” a poem about his office in a room previously occupied by his stepson, I could picture the intermingling of their personal items and the dance of knowing what to keep versus what to let go. Cutler referenced the connection they had because of the previous occupant’s mother, but the type of relationship he had with his stepson or how his marriage to the man’s mother ended was not clear. These unknown factors made my experience less captivating.

I rate One of Them 4 out of 5 stars. I reviewed the proof version of this book in PDF format, and there were a few inconsistencies in punctuation and capitalization. These minor flaws did not affect my reading experience, but I deducted one star for my lack of connection with the entries. This collection is expansive; poetry lovers looking for reflections on family and artistic adventures will value this anthology.

One of Them
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting, remarkable and well thought of review. I enjoyed reading every part of your review and I would definitely love to try out this book.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Seems like the author is a multi talented person and has written the poems with a lot of reflection on life. Reading poems and analysing them is certainly not my cup of tea. Kudos to you for doing a brilliant job at reviewing the book 👍
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Wow, you did an amazing job writing this review! I was fascinated by your thought process and your choice of words. I must say, I don't enjoy reading poems, but your views on this book have got me interested. Thank you.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Lily Chi wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 01:55 This is an interesting, remarkable and well thought of review. I enjoyed reading every part of your review and I would definitely love to try out this book.

The author has lived a very full life, and his reflections are interesting. I hope you decide to give this collection a try.
Thank you for your kind comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

khaulah wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 12:22 Seems like the author is a multi talented person and has written the poems with a lot of reflection on life. Reading poems and analysing them is certainly not my cup of tea. Kudos to you for doing a brilliant job at reviewing the book 👍
I think I inherited my love of poetry from my mother. She preferred a different style, but I appreciated that she enjoyed this genre.
Thank you for stopping by, khaulah! I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 12:56 Wow, you did an amazing job writing this review! I was fascinated by your thought process and your choice of words. I must say, I don't enjoy reading poems, but your views on this book have got me interested. Thank you.
It seems that many share your view on poetry! :D I love reading anthologies; poetry is like a puzzle and I like puzzles of all kinds.
Thank you for your visit and your kind comment, Nisha.
Rosa Parks
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I haven't read a poem book yet but when you said that it is a reflection of family poems, it drew my attention. How was his relationship with his stepson? This aspect intrigues me. Your review Donna is honest, and I found it great!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

MsH2k wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 17:21 poetry is like a puzzle and I like puzzles of all kinds.
That's an interesting way of looking at poetries. I never thought of it like that. I think I might try reading it. Any book suggestions for a reader like me? Something that is not too complicated, or in your words, a beginner-level puzzle. :)
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 17:56 I haven't read a poem book yet but when you said that it is a reflection of family poems, it drew my attention. How was his relationship with his stepson? This aspect intrigues me. Your review Donna is honest, and I found it great!
This collection is a diverse and interesting set of poems that will definitely intrigue the reader.
Thank you for your visit and your kind comment, Hazel. Enjoy your well-desrved month of recognition!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 23:26
MsH2k wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 17:21 poetry is like a puzzle and I like puzzles of all kinds.
That's an interesting way of looking at poetries. I never thought of it like that. I think I might try reading it. Any book suggestions for a reader like me? Something that is not too complicated, or in your words, a beginner-level puzzle. :)
I am by no means a poetry expert, but my suggestion would be to start with a collection that interests you for some reason, such as a connection with the theme or the poet. And don't be discouraged if you don't get many (most?) of the poems. I consider it worthwhile if only one touches me deeply.
See ya around, Nisha! :greetings-waveyellow:
Rosa Parks
Cynthia Lyon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cynthia Lyon »

It definitely sounds like an amazing story and the author was extremely talented I would most definitely love to read this book to get further insight
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Okay. I will try that Donna. Thanks again. Have a beautiful day. 😊
Nisha

Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:20
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 17:56 I haven't read a poem book yet but when you said that it is a reflection of family poems, it drew my attention. How was his relationship with his stepson? This aspect intrigues me. Your review Donna is honest, and I found it great!
This collection is a diverse and interesting set of poems that will definitely intrigue the reader.
Thank you for your visit and your kind comment, Hazel. Enjoy your well-deserved month of recognition!
Thank you again, Donna. I can't forget your heartfelt concern in your private message when I was down. Have a wonderful day!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

Wow , writing poems in such manner isnt that easy . I admire the work of the author and since I am into poems and poetry, I will try to read this book as well. Thank you for writing this great review 👍

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”