Review of "Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Sex, Wine and Jeff"

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Review of "Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Sex, Wine and Jeff"

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Sex, Wine and Jeff"" by Jeffrey Bailey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The family tree's rotted terminally" is how Jeffrey Bailey chose to sum up and describe the unfortunate events of sickness that have struck his family members. He was affected by these occurrences and chose to express that in his book, Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Sex, Wine and Jeff. The book, as it appears from its name, has a collection of poems discussing those topics. The book is full of the writer's emotions and was written sincerely.

What I like about poetry is that it conveys the author's feelings strongly. Even if you don't fully understand the poem, you can still feel the emotions. I could clearly feel the struggle and confusion through Jeffrey's words. Pain was also strongly present. I could also tell he was skeptical about a lot of things. All of these feelings are justified. He went through a lot. His father and his sister both got sick. This can never be easy. Diseases like cancer affect the whole family, not only the diseased person. You can never be ready for such news. My favorite poems are the Christmas ones. I also enjoyed the rhyming poems. You can call me old-school, but this is my favorite type of poetry.

The book had a couple of grammatical and spelling errors. They weren't a lot, but they distracted me a little while I tried to figure out if they were mistakes or a matter of style. It's hard to determine that with poetry. The poems about his father and his sickness and death were heart-wrenching. They were sincere and full of sorrow. The author sounds like he hasn't been able to handle what happened until the moment he wrote the book. I could feel the writer being confused in life through the whole book. I really hope things get better for him.

I enjoyed going through this experience with Jeffery. The emotions were strong. He wrote from his heart. Some poems weren't that clear for me, and I couldn't get the message behind them. Therefore, I rate this book four out of five stars.

I recommend this book to people who love poetry. I also recommend it to people who enjoy reading about personal experiences. If topics like cancer, the illness of family members, and death are triggering, you might want to stay away. The book might not be suitable for a younger audience, as there is some sexual content and mentions of substance use.

"Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Sex, Wine and Jeff"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I don't read poems but will read this book because I'm eager to the stories in the opens. Lovely review, well done.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”