Review of I Sat Down With My Father

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of I Sat Down With My Father

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Sat Down With My Father" by Greg Maher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I Sat Down With My Father is a series of religious poems that focus on the essence and beauty of Christianity. This brilliant and devotional poetry by Greg Maher highlights the significance of Christ. In one of the poems, “Great Day,” he writes about Christ paying the ultimate price and being the only way to get to heaven. This poetry piece has topics ranging from the birth of Christ to Christmas and Easter, among others. In the first few poems, Greg talks about baptism in a way that is revealing and, very importantly, correlates with the Bible. It’s a very inspirational read because it also contains poems about Greg Maher’s personal life, which includes life lessons like the one in “Value Time,” where he talks about the essence of good time management. There are also poems in this book that talk about other things in general and are packed with a lot of lessons.

One of the notable things about the poems is that as some of them progressed, they often changed the topic but in a subtle way that still connects excellently. The poet’s brilliant use of metaphors stood out for me, one of which is seen in the poem “Water,” where he attributes how water gives life to plants to mean how Christ would renew our lives. Also, some expressions in the book were amazingly poetic. The poetic dexterity of the author was never in doubt. I couldn't fathom how he had such a wealth of words. I also admired how the poet got a lot of his inspiration from his father and added them to his work. Finally, I loved that the book was exceptionally well edited.

There is only one negative point I can say I discovered in this poetry book; one is that some of the titles given to some poems are just not the most suitable. After I read some titles, I subconsciously tried to connect them to the piece while reading, and for some poems, they just didn’t connect. 

I rate this beautiful piece 4 out of 5 stars. From these poems, I must say that Greg Maher had a clear sense of the message he intended to pass across, and I think his purpose was achieved. I deducted a star from the book owing to the lack of nexus between some titles and the poems. I would have said the quality of the poems made up for this lapse, but it can't be completely ignored.

Whether one is religious or not, this poetry book allows one to see the reflection of the love between a higher being and man. However, I will specifically recommend this book to Christians because it reignites the purpose of Christ and the meaning of deeper love.

I Sat Down With My Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I can only imagine how intimately the author poured his heart into these poems. I admire the time he spent in his Father's presence. God loves it when His children make time for him. Awesome review!
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This is a great Review. You have done an immaculate job describing what the book is about. AS a Christian, I would read this book as it sounds inspirational. Congratulations.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”