Review of All I Ever Wanted

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of All I Ever Wanted

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All I Ever Wanted" by Jamal Roberson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

All I Have Ever Wanted was written by Jamal Roberson and centers on the emotions and struggles that people face on a daily basis. This author makes extensive use of poetry as a means of expressing his feelings and desires in connection with the topic at hand.

Even though the book does not have any headings and the poems start out of nowhere, I found that the poems are simplified so that even people who typically do not understand the deeper meaning of poems can easily understand the creative style of this author. I also found that the poems were simplified for the reader to understand them more easily. This book covers a wide range of topics, some of which are love, desire, hurt, faith, the devil, how social media affects people in this day and age, and much more. The author did an excellent job of making the poem flow smoothly, which is something I think can be a challenging task for an author.

As soon as I started reading the first poem, I realized that I really liked the poems, and all of the things that bothered me about the book faded away. In addition to this, I appreciated how straightforward and easy to read it was. It was enjoyable to read how the poems in this book were cohesively arranged to tell one continuous story. The phrase "Individuality comes with a cost" is a sentence that stood out to me. It seems that this problem is widespread across all social media platforms.

It bothered me that the first poem began on the page that was supposed to be reserved for the acknowledgments. Another aspect of the poems that bothered me was that they lacked titles. Without these very important things, I believe they should be in a book, but it just seems chaotic and confusing without them.

This book earns a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars from me because I found the content to be both raw and relatable. This is a book that I believe will appeal to a wide audience because it tells a story and discusses the author's day-to-day struggles, which range from his aspirations to work to his relationships with other people. My impression was that the book had been edited professionally, and the poems were straightforward and easy to grasp. The fact that it did not have any headings or anything to alert the reader that the book had begun was the only thing that bothered me, but it was not a significant enough problem for me to dock a point for it.

I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys poems that convey a sense of narrative while also focusing on feelings. People who enjoy poetry that is simple and easy to comprehend would also benefit from reading this book.

All I Ever Wanted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the range of topics in this book. Especially, including how social media affects our day-to-day lives. I think the author has tips on how to use social media properly as well. I would like to read this insightful book soon. Thank you for your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

Thank you for your review. I like that the poems are simplified and straightforward. However the formating and presentation feels too chaotic for me. I like that the poems are thought provoking and very relatable. I also like the messages they present.
Cuthbert Phiri 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cuthbert Phiri 2 »

I like the poems but could need a little rhythm to it

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”