Review of Black clouds to Sunshine

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Black clouds to Sunshine

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black clouds to Sunshine" by Carole Lonsdale.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mental health is very important to Carole Lonsdale because her son passed away after experiencing years of mental health issues through panic and anxiety attacks. Black Clouds to Sunshine is a compilation of different poems. Having lost her son to a mental disorder, the author has mirrored her thoughts about life and mental health issues in this book. As the title of the book implies, there are some joyful thoughts noted in this book; this is done through humor.

The book starts with a dedication to her late son, Darren. It makes a lot of sense that the first poem is dedicated to him. "He never should have died" is the title of the poem that tells readers of the death of a promising, young boy. It's clear that these are the deep thoughts of the author. I instantly connected with this book. It was heartwarming to read about the mental health issues described in this book. No one really understands. The doctors try, but the solutions they proffer are always temporary. Time and time again, people who suffer from mental health, anxiety, and panic attacks carry their burdens all alone. Reading this book made me think about how difficult it must have been for Darren and Carole.

The structure of this book is commendable. The rhyme schemes made the poems even more intriguing. How could words be played with so meaningfully? There were poems about almost everything. One thing I liked about this book was how the author was able to explain seemingly little things in the most relatable manner. Carole made me understand that short sentences could have lengthy and deep meanings. She proved herself to be a master of words. I found myself smiling at the creativity of the author. She mirrored pain in such a way that I felt it. However, this book was not entirely a sad piece. There were humorous poems in this book.

I liked the themes that were explored in this book. One interesting and insightful poem talked about marriage. With a piece of paper marriage starts, and with a piece of paper, it could end. There wasn't anything that I disliked about this book. This book has it all: both black clouds and sunshine. With all pleasure, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. This book reminds me of the reason poetry is both a path to and through the soul. I only found an error, so this book was professionally edited.

I recommend this book to lovers of poetry. If you have a loved one who suffers from mental health or anxiety attacks, I recommend this book to you. If you just want to read Carole's beautifully written thoughts, this is definitely a book for you.

Black clouds to Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

It is sad when people take mental health to be something so simple that they can just ignore it. From this author’s story, it is clear that mental health caused the death of her son and has also caused the death of other people. I think it's really sad what happened to her son. While this will be a great read, I do not think I have the heart for it.
Night Reader 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-reader-1.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Night Reader 1 »

Looking forward to read it. It must be helpful for other people with anxiety and panic attacks. I know some people who I'm going to recommend it thanks for the review. You did excellent job with review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”