Beautiful Thing (Play)

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Beautiful Thing (Play)

Post by chytach18- »

A few weeks ago I watched a play called 'Beautiful Thing: A Love Story' by Jonathan Harvey, as live captured at the Art Theatre, in London. I liked it, so I though it would be wise to read the play, too. Two teenage boys, Jamie and Ste, are discovering their sexuality, only to find out that they might be homosexual. They live in a tough and narrow-minded neighbourhood where boys should play football. Jamie is supported by his caring mother Sandra who, herself is a bit of the outcast in the society. Ste is abused and humiliated by his father and brother. He is particularly vulnerable to get exposed, although, I think he has been aware of his 'quirkiness' before Jamie had discovered it.
The story is funny, full of humour, but at the same time, it raises an issue which still might get some eye-brows raised even today, let alone twenty years ago.
I would recommend parents and teenagers to read the play together. It will bring them closer. Even better, buy and watch the performance from Digital Theatre. I will give it 4/4 stars.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”