Review of The Raven’s Poison

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Raven’s Poison

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Raven’s Poison" by Braeden Michaels.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In this collection of poetry titled The Raven's Poison by Braeden Michaels, the author describes human emotions in different forms. He talks about the good and the bad; he also weighs in on pleasant and dark emotions. The dark side includes lust, shattered hearts, and self-destruction. The pleasant side consists of self-love, spirituality, and being in love without judgment. This poetry collection has numerous wonderful poems that can be utilized to express oneself regardless of mood or circumstance.

Every poem in the collection conveys its own story. However, I needed help deciphering some of the poems' underlying narratives. For instance, in "Inside the Blood Clot" and "Spilled Ink," I struggled to understand what the author said. Nonetheless, many of the poems were enjoyable, and I could identify with some of them, particularly the ones about love, anger, and lust. Some lines also had a peculiar impact on me. For instance, in "Twitching Carnival," I loved these lines: "She crawls away out of confidence. She deserves more than what has been given." These lines reminded me of how I had to hold my head high in the face of undeserved disappointments or denials.

Some of the poems have specific messages to which readers can relate. "Silently Incarcerated" expresses the actual feelings of self-hatred and self-destruction. We sometimes cage ourselves in our minds. Even before the rest of the world does, we are the first to pass judgment and condemnation on ourselves. The poem is meant to bring us out of those dark corners we place ourselves. "From Above and Outward" describes a point of rebirth and optimism when we decide to give life another chance. It is a form of motivation for everyone in such a situation. The fact that there's something for almost everyone in this poetry collection makes it a must-have.

While the author makes no effort to force rhymes, he does ensure a smooth transition from one line to the next. An example is seen in some lines of "Dancing Tsunami." Here goes: "The poet captures the authenticity of the moment. He stands on the stage and lashes out to the crowd. The words cut dive and linger in the air of the audience." The author aptly captures the dynamics between the poet and his audience. Also, the author uses some figures of speech in his writing. An example is the use of metaphor in the poem "Two Headed Monster." The author wrote that "Jealousy is a two headed monster."

These poems are beautiful and exceptionally edited. The poems are concise. The language is simple and easy to understand. I will recommend it to every lover of soul-touching poetry and every adult that can relate to emotions like rage, love, jealousy, compassion, and so on.

The Raven's Poison provided me with words of enlightenment and motivation. It stretched my imagination and gave me reasons to think deeply. Regardless of the two poems I didn't quite flow with, I'd give this collection of poetry 5 out of 5 stars.

The Raven’s Poison
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”