Review of Born from Fire

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Review of Born from Fire

Post by Akshi Porwal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born from Fire" by Charli505.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Born from Fire: A Collection Of Triumphs Over Getting Burned by Charli is an anthology of the author’s painful experiences in life. The poems in this anthology depict some of the most painful experiences in the author’s life. These poems are extremely personal and heartfelt to her. These poems can range from adoption to sexual assault. The poems are the author’s way of dealing with her trauma and laying her life bare. It is a short read of only twenty poems. The author’s faith in God is evident throughout the book. However, this is unlikely to affect the reader’s enjoyment of the book. It is equally suited for religious as well as non-religious readers.

The author truly wears her heart on her sleeve in this book. She discusses topics that must be hard for anyone to talk about. The poems follow a chronological order that starts from her childhood. The author’s strength is visible through her poems. She does not sound defeated. Instead, her poems have an inspirational undertone to them. This gives readers the strength to overcome their own adversities. My favorite poem was called “The Truth About You”. In this poem, the author confronted her assaulter.

While the emotions behind the poems are communicated effectively, the author could have improved her writing style. The poems were rather simplistic. I felt that the author was trying too hard at certain points instead of letting the rhymes flow naturally. The writing was the only gripe that I had with this book.

I would like to give Born from Fire: A Collection Of Triumphs Over Getting Burned by Charli 4 out of 5 stars. The book was great and managed to make my heart tug. The reader can feel the sadness, anger, and frustration of the author through this book. Unfortunately, I had to remove a star for the author’s writing style that can be worked upon. The book has done exceptionally well in its editing, as I could not find any typos, grammatical errors, or inaccuracies.

As stated, Born from Fire: A Collection Of Triumphs Over Getting Burned is a short read, and it can be completed in one sitting. I would recommend this book to readers who would like to hear about the trials and tribulations that the author went through in her life. Sensitive readers should exercise caution while reading this book, as it contains triggering topics like sexual assault, drug use, abortion, etc.

Born from Fire
View: on Bookshelves
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

An expertly crafted review I must say. But I'm staying away from sorrowful pieces so I'm not sure this is for me. Thanks.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”