Review of What is Autism?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Review of What is Autism?

Post by David Chijindu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What is Autism?" by Damien Rist.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has something special about them. Some people may like those unique qualities, while others may not. This book teaches a reader about a unique characteristic some people in society possess which is known as autism.

What is Autism? By Damien Rist is a book on autism. The author begins the book by discussing the meaning of autism. The author aims to help people in society know what autism means, identify its behaviours and understand the challenges autistic people face. Autism is not a mental issue but a neurological problem caused when the brain is differently wired, affecting social and communication skills. The author further explains that autism is not only present in boys. Both boys and girls can have autism. It is hard to identify a girl with autism, so girls are good at masking. The author explains the sensory processing disorder of autistic people using eight senses: sight, sound, taste, touch, smell, interoception, proprioception and vestibular. The author also discusses how sensory toys such as bracelets and fidgets could help people with autism and the need for non-autistic people not to discriminate when they see them using them. Read the 30 pages of the book to learn more about autistic behaviour and how we can help people with autism.

I like some aspects of the book. The author uses the book to discourage discrimination among autistic people. We must know what autism means, understand their behaviours and avoid calling autistic people names like weird. The author shares some interesting information in the book. For instance, the eight senses of human beings and sensory toys autistic people use, such as fidgets and bracelets, are listed in the book. My favourite part of the book was when the author discussed the difference between echolalia and palilalia. Echolalia is when someone repeats what they said, while palilalia is when someone repeats what others said. It was educational and taught me the meaning of new words used in autism. The author also addresses other issues in the book, such as autism routines and the common stims autistic people face. According to the author, a meltdown occurs when there is neurological overburden, and a shutdown occurs when an autistic person refuses to reply.

I did not like some aspects of the book. I want the author to discuss the causes of autism in the book. A reader would like to know the causes of autism after reading the book. The author repeats some poems in the book. For instance, on page 27, the author repeats the poems on Echolalia and Palilalia. I did not enjoy reading a poem several times.

Autistic people are unique, and they deserve special treatment. We must understand them and their behaviours. The author did a fantastic job. I found a few errors in the book, so it is professionally well-edited. Due to the aspects of the book I did not like, I rate it 3 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who wants to read a book of poems on autism.

What is Autism?
View: on Bookshelves
Eze-Ogo Kal Dimuo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-ogo-kal-dimuo.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Eze-Ogo Kal Dimuo »

Everyone has unique characteristics, which in some people is a barrier to effective communication. Persons with such challenges are sometimes or most misunderstood and made fun of, further deteriorating their challenges. A book like What is Autism? is necessary to enlighten people on how to help understand and identify persons which such challenges.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”