Review of Voices from a Forgotten Letter

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Review of Voices from a Forgotten Letter

Post by Huini Hellen »

Seif-Eldeine's vivid description in the poem will complement the brief nature of poems and allow readers the chance to fully experience what transpired in the Syrian war. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A poetry book portraying the lives of the Syrians army and the civilians. A book like this enables us to have a further look about the war torn Syria, the lives of the front lines army and the civilians who try to keep things normal despite the war. Such melancholy read but its our humane responsibility to have awareness of the war.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
DL Gardene
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DL Gardene »

Voices from a forgotten letter

As we read the collection of poems we get to see how war affects the lives of the people but we also are able to understand what isn’t always told to the general public. It can be hard on a soldier at war especially when there is so much more going on and you have to find peace within yourself so that you can function and make it back home. Books as such are very much appreciated and needed so that everyone can understand it more and in an effective way.
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

"Voices From a Forgotten Letter" skillfully portrays the impact of the Syrian Civil War on everyday lives through poignant poems. The collection delves into the struggles of people, from an elderly diabetic mother to refugees facing slave labor. The poet, Seif-Eldeine, masterfully creates vivid imagery, such as children playing on rubble or a refugee bride mourning her father's arrest, evoking deep emotions. Nice review.
Aliu Oladimeji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aliu Oladimeji »

Voices from a forgotten letter by self-Eldeine, Here goes: This collection of poems shows how war impacts the Syria and how life continues. They describe the Syrian people's everyday life, and some depict the lives of people who die despite the war. There is an elderly mother who has diabetes and is being kept alive within insulin. There are tales of men breaking the rules of playing a dice game and smoking heavily under a "No smoking" sign. They also tell of the slave labor of refugees forced to work in sweatshops.
Furthermore, a woman is forced to marry a man she does not love and endure his nightly assaults on her body.
I appreciated the addition of a glossary at the back of the book. Some terms and words used in Arabic, so this resource was invaluable. I have learned a lot more about the Syrian conflict, and I am grateful to Self-Eldeine for giving me a chance through the power of poetry.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

A great review indeed! The review has mentioned that this book has poems that depict the everyday lives of people in Syria even though they are all facing a traumatizing war. Death and life must go hand in hand. Even though we lose many in the war, people who survive have to continue their lives and keep them safe. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Though poetry is not a genre I enjoy reading, I appreciate how intensely the author wrote their poems. We don't often see how the wars in Syria affect the citizens, but here we do. Thanks for the review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
RomanceBound T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romancebound-t.html
Latest Review: Holy Terror by John R. Dougherty

Post by RomanceBound T »

This sound like such an emotional yet important read. This shows the other side of story of Syrian war. How tough this must be for them going through all those phases and still continue living their lives. Congrats on BOTD.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Mrs. Ashley's First BBC by Mr and Mrs BCFlyers2016

Post by Nenye Charles »

Voices from a Forgotten Letter" by Seif-Eldeine is an interesting book about war. I’m curious to know how the war affected them, and how they were able to pick back their broken pieces and start life afresh after the war.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

"Voices From a Forgotten Letter: Poems on the Syrian Civil War" is a collection of poems that explores the impact of war on Syria and highlights the resilience of its people. The poems depict everyday life amidst the conflict, including struggles with healthcare, forced marriages, and refugee labor. The author, Seif-Eldeine, evokes intense imagery and emotions, allowing readers to see a different side of the Syrian war. With its raw and powerful storytelling, the book provides a deeper understanding of the human experience in times of turmoil.co"Voices From a Forgotten Letter: Poems on the Syrian Civil War" is a collection of poems that explores the impact of war on Syria and highlights the resilience of its people. The poems depict everyday life amidst the conflict, including struggles with healthcare, forced marriages, and refugee labor. The author, Seif-Eldeine, evokes intense imagery and emotions, allowing readers to see a different side of the Syrian war. With its raw and powerful storytelling, the book provides a deeper understanding of the human experience in times of turmoil.congrats on BOTD
Ahmad Asad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ahmad Asad »

Beautifully written and really helps the reader understand the conflict in the Middle East. Truly a one of a kind. The author is able to connect with the readers through his personal experiences and insight to the culture.
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 607
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

This review moved me. I like that it includes a glossary for readers to learn the Arabic terms. Thank you for the review.
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

I like the fact that the author did not deviate from the reality. The part that despite wars, people get to live their normal lives got me.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

I found your review profoundly moving. It exposes the stark contrast between the everyday struggles of ordinary people and the horrors of war in Syria. The imagery, particularly about children playing amidst the ruins of their homes was gut-wrenching and emotionally devastating. I was especially deeply moved by your recollection of the poem about a dying soldier’s last thoughts. Thank you!
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A nice collection of poems can be found in the book "Voices from a Forgotten Letter" by Seif-Eldeine. The poems try to portray the incidents that had occurred during the Syrian civil war.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”