Review of Chin Up!

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Review of Chin Up!

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chin Up!" by Colleen Barnes Anderson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"If you need to know how anything went, stop by and ask me please. I’d love to talk to you / again."
—Colleen J. Barnes Anderson
Chin Up!, written by Colleen J. Barnes Anderson, is an emotional compilation of poems dedicated to her late son, Travis, and to the young children he left behind. Expressing throughout the book that losing a son like Travis is similar to losing the sun itself, Barnes Anderson holds on to and is eternally grateful for their memories. Chin Up! tells the story of a mother’s grief and how she remembers the life of her son.

I am so glad I stumbled upon Chin Up!. This book really delivered meaning and emotion to its pages in a way that I will remember for a long time. First, the summary and dedication pages were lovely. I was compelled to read the book from cover to cover before I had even gotten to the first poem. I just knew this author had beautiful words to share about a subject that is dear to her heart, and she so openly allowed the reader to be a part of that.

In fact, it was probably my favorite thing about the book. Chin Up! contains 38 poems, all two pages or less in length. Moreover, the poems were written in free verse, in a very open and approachable way, like late-night diary entries or never-sent letters to her son, Travis. This made the book incredibly easy to follow, relate to, and finish—and to be read again. While the entire book offered highly meaningful and emotional poems, my personal favorites were “To My Son,” “I Lost a Son, I Lost the Sun,” “Don’t Cry,” “I Search the Darkness,” and “Sometimes I Struggle.” Even now, I could read these poems again.

There aren’t many negatives I could pick out from the book. Aside from a strangely written stanza and a couple tiny mistakes, there was nothing else to focus on besides the dedication the author put into writing this book in the memory of her son. While in the process of grieving, Barnes Anderson took to God and hoping to find glimpses of Travis in the nature all around her. Therefore, this book might be better suited for individuals with a connection to God, as well.

In all, I rate Chin Up! 5 out of 5 stars. As Barnes Anderson expressed, I, too, would recommend this book to those who have gone through the pain of loss and who might use this book to feel understood and to heal. I’m sure individuals who appreciate poetry and an author’s beautiful vulnerability would also enjoy giving this book a read.

Chin Up!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

Losing a child is one of the most challenging experiences any parent can face, and it can feel overwhelming and never-ending. However, it is heartening to see that Colleen has found solace in writing and has dedicated her work to her beloved son and the children he left behind. Your review is detailed, thank you.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose a child but I'm glad the author found an outlet in her poetry. Thanks for the review

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”