Review of She’s The First

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of She’s The First

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "She’s The First" by Paul T. Blanchett.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

She's The First by Paul T. Blanchett is a collection of poems about gratitude and faith. It emphasizes the poet's memories and perspectives on life and God. Also, the book illustrates themes such as love, family life, and spirituality.

Briefly, the 58 poems focus on Paul T. Blanchett's points of view regarding both his relationships with his family and his relationship with God. He highlights his regrets, the feelings awakened by some childhood memories, and the substance of prayer. Also, Paul shares some poems that are dedicated to people he admires.

I liked that each poem had an explanatory introduction of its inspiration, the circumstances in which it was written, or the emotions that led to its creation. Those short explanations made me empathize even more with the poet's life and not lose my interest at all while I was reading about his experiences. For instance, I better understood his relationship with his family through the poems about his mother, whom he considered a model for him. Also, I loved Paul T. Blanchett's humor in the descriptions of the protocol for the colonoscopy.

Another positive aspect of this anthology was the balance between the poems about family ties and those about Christianity as a relationship. I appreciated that Paul T. Blanchett shared both his trivial and impactful memories. Also, I liked how he used the anaphora and the enjambment in different poems to add emphasis, just as I liked the uppercase stanzas used to highlight the importance of a relationship or a topic. For example, I loved that the poem "Ask Father" alternated the lowercase and uppercase stanzas in the dialogue between the poet and God.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because there is nothing I dislike about it. It taught me to see the world in a new light, and I loved the poetic license. Although some poems seemed silly, their substrate highlighted the poet's emotions while he was remembering his past, and I empathized with his inner states. I liked that each poem was accompanied by its background, and I enjoyed the funny illustrations that preceded the poems. Also, the anthology was exceptionally well edited. I discovered no single error while reading it.

I recommend this book to fans of memoirs in stanzas, especially those interested in the heart's mysteries and the acceptance of God as their savior. It is perfect for people who enjoy topics like fatherhood and football, but not for those who do not resonate with some biblical references. Also, She's The First is suitable for a large audience because of its minor borderline profanity and lack of erotic content.

She’s The First
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the themes of the book, especially about spirituality. I love to read some thoughts about the author of this theme. This book seems perfect for my mood now. Thanks for your lovely review, Andrada.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”