Review of On the wings of a prayer

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Review of On the wings of a prayer

Post by Shillah Andeso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the wings of a prayer" by Kola Kupoluyi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As Eniola George prepares for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), he is confident that he will be placed in the place he desires. This is after undergoing some hard times during his university life. One must serve their country by joining NYSC and working in their respective field. However, Eniola is unaware of what awaits him and the presence of a powerful force in his life.

On the Wings of a Prayer is one of the compelling stories in On the Wings of a Prayer: Five Short Stories from the Motherland by Ajagunte Kola Kupoluyi. The five short stories in this book all occur in different countries on the African continent. They explore themes such as religion, crime, beauty, and justice. The author draws inspiration from his imagination and also from real-life events. It is easy to see how relevant and significant things that may seem small are in life.

One aspect that stands out in this book is the description of activities and feelings conveyed through the characters' conversations. This helps envision a typical African environment, bringing a sense of homeliness. The diverse countries included in the book, like Nigeria, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, exhibit oneness and a similar culture. I love how the author used the book to create awareness about ideology, tourism, and religion.

Despite enjoying some aspects of the book, I felt some stories were not satisfying. They were not well developed and ended before anything significant happened. This was an attempt by the author to portray a particular message, which was also shallowly dealt with. The time jumps in the story were also not satisfactory as they disrupted the overall flow of these stories.

I rate On the Wings of a Prayer: Five Short Stories from the Motherland by Ajagunte Kola Kupoluyi 3 out of 5 stars. The stories were captivating and had a message to convey. The author also maintained my attention until the end of the book. However, some stories in the book need more development. I also found many grammatical errors in the book. This shows that the book was not professionally edited. Most of these are punctuation errors. I believe the book requires careful editing for a more captivating experience.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves short stories with a particular message. The book also talks about the beauty of Africa, and anyone interested in nature will love this. I don't think anything would hold anyone back from reading this book. These are impressive stories that will serve both entertainment and educational purposes.

On the wings of a prayer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

When I read the title, I expected a religious installment on God and biblical excerpts. Such a twist! I have an issue navigating a poorly edited book, so I'll pass on this one. Your honest review is superb!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love when poems tell powerful stories in less to no words. I also appreciated your honesty about why some stories were not as satisfying as others. This was an insightful review, excellent work.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”