Review of The Phoenix Tapes

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Review of The Phoenix Tapes

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Phoenix Tapes" by Nelle J.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Phoenix Tapes by Nelle J. is a short book of short poems where the author expresses her feelings. She talks about love, relationships, friendship, resilience, and standing up after failure. She used the symbol of the phoenix, which I find inspiring. The phoenix is known to resurrect from its ashes. It's a symbol of strength and rebirth, and this is what this book represents. The book has two parts. You can see clearly that the poems in the first part are more angry and confrontational. The second part contains more hopeful poems.

The poems were short and expressive. It was the first time for me to read poems in that style, but I liked it. Forming verses from a couple of words, or even one, was creative. The emotions of the author were really present. I felt anger and resistance. I felt hope and disappointment. I saw some happiness in the end, which was great.

There was nothing to hate about the book. You might not relate to all the poems, but you'll surely relate to some. The author's style was to direct her words at someone. Who didn't have someone they wanted to pour their heart out to? We can do this when angry, disappointed, determined, or in love. Nelle J. did all of this and more in The Phoenix Tapes. I fell in love with the last poem. She was talking to her partner about making peace in a really loving tone. I happened to have a friend who is going through exactly the same situation, so I could totally relate.

The book was generally a good read. Some of the poems were inspiring. The editing of the book was exceptional. I couldn't notice any errors. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars. I recommend the book to people who love poetry, especially short and not overly complicated poetry. If you feel offended by curse words, this might not suit you. The writer felt free with her words, and this was suitable to express her strong emotions. It's not excessive, but it had to be mentioned.

The Phoenix Tapes
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

I appreciate how you concluded by rating the book five out of five stars and saying that even for people who don't like poetry, it is still a worthy read. Your review has motivated me to get my hands on this book as soon as possible. Many thanks for such an informative review.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Short poems on topics like love, relationships, friendship, resilience, and standing up after failure, will be so beautiful and inspiring to read. Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's Phoenix for you, rising from the ashes. I like the authors title choice, it's always moving on and rising. I like how the poem connected with you, and the themes are nice, too. Thank you for the wonderful review Hager!
Abefe1
Currently Reading: The Parrot's Perch
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abefe1 »

That's courageous and cool of her, to be able to express how you feel without being scared of what others might think and say of you. Most people are being cowards on how to go about their own issues or problems, thinking they might get critized or scolded.Thanks for this review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”