Review of Penny

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Believe : A Poetry Collection by Denise Alicea

Review of Penny

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Penny" by George J. Dance.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Penny or Penny’s Hat is a poem written by George J. Dance that describes a red hat using a list of colors. This hat is red, but what shade is it exactly? Can you imagine what material it is made of? Think about a hat and how would you describe it, then read this poem and tell me what you would have done differently.

This book started as an online publication; several blog posts were eventually turned into this lovely book. It is written in alphabetical order, each letter has its chapter, meaning that there are 26 chapters, but the poem is a correlation of sentences. I enjoyed discovering new colors and words, like acajou, albugineous, and caliaturwood. I also like some word games the author used like Bee-Utah-ful or Del.icio.us. However, some words, in my opinion, had no relationship with a hat, or a description of a hat. I enjoyed that the author included an appendix with the hexadecimal RGB for the colors, so if anyone wants to use them, they can. I must warn you, if you are looking for a specific color, the appendix is almost as long as the poem.

I would have enjoyed this poem more if the author had chosen to add more than just colors and word games, as I believe this poem like it currently is, is perfect for a vocabulary or literature class but not for an afternoon read. It seems tedious and repetitive. At some point, it felt like reading random words from the dictionary.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. This is an interesting take on poetry, is the most consecutive poem I have read, and I was impressed by the fact a poem can be over a hundred pages long. I decided to deduct a star because, as much research and time it took the author to compile the colors, I do not see much creativity in it, or something that keeps the reader entertained. The book has been professionally edited, as it does not contain errors or typos; however, I would recommend the author to edit in and, either add some text to keep the reader engaged, or make each chapter shorter to make it easier to enjoy.

I recommend this book to teachers; teenagers might enjoy this book. I also recommend it to people trying to learn English or improve their vocabulary, as it has an enormous list of colors. However, if you prefer classical and more traditional this is not the book for you.

Penny
View: on Bookshelves
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I think the hat has a dark red shade and is made of plastic and I want to know if I got it right. I think I'd enjoy reading the book and reading about all the colors and word games.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The appendix will be handy in increasing the knowledge of different hues of colors.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”