Review of Experience in Sonnets

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Review of Experience in Sonnets

Post by Damian Keyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Experience in Sonnets" by Jacqueline Maragh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Experiences in Sonnets is a collection of poems by Jacqueline Maragh that are composed of personal and non-personal topics. The author introduces herself to readers with self-introspective sonnets that will create a personal connection with this island native. If you are a fan of impeccable poetry that takes you on a journey of life lessons, then I implore you to get this book.

I’m glad that I picked up this book because it has all the elements of good poetry—it’s raw, honest, and leaves its readers with insightful takeaways. Jacqueline did a superb job in fulfilling these requirements, which made me fall in love with her sonnets. The poems are a healthy mix of uplifting, revealing, and sad topics. Anyone can find a poem in this book to relate to. Faith is a huge component of Jacqueline’s life and it shows in her work. As a person of faith, I appreciated those moments when I came upon them in my reading.

There are 50 poems in this book, it made it hard for me to choose my favorite one. The one that left a lasting impression on me from the first read was “Yes, You Can”. It’s a self-affirmation sonnet that inspired me to believe in myself and that I can accomplish whatever I put my mind to. Jacqueline Maragh is someone who I would call a “teacher through words”. In her words, she makes you feel special by holding and rocking you with her words of positivity, while in the same breath, reminding you of your purpose.

As I stated earlier, not all the poems in this book are going to be uplifting and positive. “Suicide” is exactly what the title states it is about. I’m proud that the author touched on a subject that many people contemplate when they are dealing with inner demons. “Scarred” is another serious topic poem that’s about mental trauma from past hurt. If these poems may trigger you, then I recommend you pass on this book.

I’m glad that I could look into the life of Jacqueline Maragh. Her ability to create imagery with the use of expressive language kept me enthralled. Experiences in Sonnets is the author's first book, and it was fantastic, so I cannot wait until her next publication. I found nothing I disliked or hated in my reading of these poems. I only found a few small syntax and grammar errors, but they did not distract me from my enjoyment of this story. I’m going to give this professionally-edited book 5 out of 5 stars.

Experience in Sonnets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”