Review of Looking Inwards

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Looking Inwards

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking Inwards" by Sameer Pendse.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Looking Inwards: A Journey into Turiya by Sameer Pendse is a poetic book and also a form of self-expression by the author. This book is designed to be a contribution to the “social responsibility" poetry, as it “keeps us loving and calm, and that in itself seems to be a necessary and sufficient pre-condition (& post-condition) to life." The book begins with an essay on poetry and society, after which the content is divided into three parts: PART I – In America, PART II – Middle Years In India, and PART III – Starting In The UK. All these were written with the greatest mission of “keeping us all together in peace" through love. From a grand perspective, does poetry not serve as gasoline that keeps us running?

While reading, I realized that this book of poetry might be a function of the author's personal life. Reference was constantly made to “our boys" in a more intimate way than a foreign character. Also, the book's three parts closely reflect the author's experience. And statements like “When I came to America a decade ago" proved this to be true. I mention this because I feel that readers would better connect with a book with a definite source of experience. I love how things like family were integrated into the poem, giving it a more cultural and homely outlook. I believe other readers would feel the same.

Also, this book contains a lot of amazing poems laced with words that communicate with utmost serenity the value they possess. I enjoyed the “Basking Ridge" poem most without bias or unjust favouritism. This poem discusses a certain Emily and her existence in the new milieu (afterlife). Everyone has a different take on the afterlife; what do you think Emily should grace this current lifetime with? Many other poems across society, gender, and divinity are amazing components of this book.

However, this book contains a lot of spiritual content relating to higher devotion. This should not discourage non-religious readers, as there is a balance to this. There's no other negative issue in the book. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars due to the overwhelming benefits of reading the book, which I have discussed. As an added benefit to readers, this work of poetry is error-free. I found no errors, either typographical or misspellings.

Readers who are interested in poetry would find this material useful. Also, I believe this book to be open to a considerable sect of readers. Read this book and discover “the beauty of a poem lasts forever".

Looking Inwards
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Poetry is my least favorite genre. It's almost always too much for me to understand. I do think it's good, though, for the author to be able to express themselves however they like.
Nut Cashew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutcashew.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nut Cashew »

I love how unique this book is and I love that it contains a lot of spiritual content. This is a good review and I would love to read more of your reviews.
Kshitija Sonawane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

While Western philosophy teaches people to look outside for God, Eastern philosophy tells us to look inward. Even the word Namaste means I bow to the divinity inside you. This idea will help us respect others and make ourselves as perfect or as 'divine' as possible so that we can live up to the respect that others are giving us. Congratulations on BOTD and best wishes for future projects.
Brittany Arendse
Currently Reading: Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-arendse.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Brittany Arendse »

Very well written review! I’m not averse to spiritual content but it is highly dependent on how it makes me feel. The review however suggests there is a balance and because I love poetry I will definitely give this book a chance. Well done on #BOTD
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Your review of 'Looking Inwards' by Sameer Pendse captures the essence of the book beautifully. The blend of personal experiences and cultural elements in poetry is indeed rare. The way Pendse integrates his life journey across three countries into his work is fascinating. It seems the book transcends just being a collection of poems; it's a journey through different phases of life, each part mirroring a new chapter in the author's life. This review makes me ponder the unique way poetry can reflect an individual's growth and societal insights.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Looking Inwards by Sameer Pendse is a poetic book where the author shares his philosophical and spiritual experiences. The official OBC review was insightful, and the sample pages were eloquent. I don't enjoy poems a lot, so I will skip this one. Congratulations on the BOTD, though!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

Thank you for your great and insightful review. Congratulations to the author! I read the sample and I enjoyed each page. The writings speak of soulful matters through poetic form.
I feel that the best poetry is the ones containing timeless pearls of wisdom and this seems to fall into such a classification. I particularly enjoyed " To Be and Not to Be", the title immediately brought to mind Shakespeare 😀 However this piece by Sameer Pendse is in a class of its own. Thank you. I have noted this collection of poetry for a future read.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
ayoub ayou
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ayoub ayou »

I like the book because it contains a lot of spiritual content which is intresting to read
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

I'm deeply grateful for your thoughtful insights and reflections on "Looking Inwards: A Journey into Turiya" by Sameer Pendse. Your detailed exploration of the book's essence and the author's personal journey within the poetry has truly enriched my understanding of this remarkable collection.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Poems about gender, divinity, after-life and so on would definitely be interesting to read. It is an added advantage that it talks about social responsibility which seems to be missing in today's day and age. Congrats on BOTD.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by Martina Sette »

Nice! This book weaves personal experiences into powerful poetry, creating a genuine cultural tapestry. The 'Basking Ridge' poem is really interesting. Thanks for the review!
IKECHUKWU PETER 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by IKECHUKWU PETER 1 »

Very impressive to the author! I read the sample and I enjoyed each page. The writings speak of soulful matters through poetic form.
I feel that the best poetry is the ones containing timeless pearls of wisdom and this seems to fall into such a classification. Also, the author's personal journey within the poetry has truly enhanced my understanding and interest for poetry.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

In "Looking Inwards: A Journey into Turiya," the mention of the author's personal journey and familial ties woven into the poetry resonates deeply. The exploration of life across America, India, and the UK promises a relatable and culturally enriched experience.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I have always been interested in spirituality. The vast experience of the author in America, India, and the UK makes this book an enjoyable read. The poems seem to keep readers together. The author incorporated family ties and culture into his poems, which bring warmth to the readers. I look forward to reading. Great review.
Runan

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”