Review of Nocturnal Laments

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Review of Nocturnal Laments

Post by Kigen Valarie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nocturnal Laments" by Eva Mylle.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nocturnal Laments: A Modern Gothic Poetry Collection by Eva Mylle is a poetry book divided into eight parts. Despite the poems in each section discussing different themes, they are all encompassed by a similar environment. The themes discussed include human emotions, decay, the supernatural, the afterlife, destiny, fate, etc. There is also a poem that talks about Ukraine. It is portrayed as resilient and adores beauty and tenacity. The author appreciates Ukraine's fighting spirit. The first poem in the book talks about the Garden of Eden and the fall of humankind. This sets the mood for all the poems included in the book.

As the title says, most of the poems in this book are gothic and discuss the beauty of darkness. The fact that the author explores themes like the environment, virtues, and vices does not make the poems lose their gothic nature. One of the pieces of evidence of how this poem explores the darkest elements is the author's use of the phrase, "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here." It is crucial to understand that these poems are not nonreligious but speak about the hidden things that are generally saddening and not discussed in the open.

It is true to say there is nothing I dislike about Nocturnal Laments: A Modern Gothic Poetry Collection. The title was perfectly chosen. I love how the author used symbolism, for instance, when she used a rat to explain the conditions she was caught up in. The Rat's Plight resonated well with many conditions that many people are bound to be ensnared in. I did not come across any grammatical errors. The exceptional editing of the book has to be commended.

I love how the poems discuss some of the things missing in society and the difference between good and evil. The portrayal of death and grief evoked different emotions in me and will do so for any other reader. My favorite poem in the book is The Seven Deadly Sins. If you are an avid reader, you have come across them. This doesn't interest me just because it's familiar but because of the author's depiction of them and choice of words.

I rate Nocturnal Laments: A Modern Gothic Poetry Collection by Eva Mylle 5 out of 5 stars. Poetry is an art, and Eve has crafted her work excellently. I love the random advice encapsulated within the poems for the reader. A day only gets better when someone believes in you. This is the same when one is convinced that one can make it. I learned a lot about angels, solitude, and the laments of broken souls. There is a steady transition from one poem to the next and from one part of the book to the next. It's rare for people to appreciate the beauty and rarity of the dark and the shadows, and Eva stands in for humans in valuing them.

I recommend this book to lovers of poetry and the gothic lifestyle. This is a good representation of these elements. I love reading poems surrounded by sadness and pain, and anyone who likes this will love the experiences they'll gain from this book. Learning about the turmoil of the pure redemption of the lost and the broken will be worthwhile. While reading this book, it's essential to pay attention to the emotions every word evokes. I cannot mention age boundaries for this book. The language is simple and suitable for every reader.

Nocturnal Laments
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
King Nyebuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-nyebuchi.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by King Nyebuchi »

You review is a well crafted one and definitely detailed. Thanks for the review.
Kigen Valarie
Currently Reading:

Post by Kigen Valarie »

King Nyebuchi wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 00:05 You review is a well crafted one and definitely detailed. Thanks for the review.
I'm happy you think so. It will be amazing if you got to read the poems too. Though not easy to understand, you'll grab the concept and maybe we could talk about the book too.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

The title drew me to the book. Such content shares learnings through stories of seemingly never ending struggle, acceptance, determination to overcome and hope. Your review confirms it. Looks like a book I would like to read. Thank you for the detailed review.
Kigen Valarie
Currently Reading:

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Seetha E wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 02:01 The title drew me to the book. Such content shares learnings through stories of seemingly never ending struggle, acceptance, determination to overcome and hope. Your review confirms it. Looks like a book I would like to read. Thank you for the detailed review.
I tend to rely on the titles when looking at poetry books too and it works all the time. I hope you get a chance to read this one.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your thoughtful review! Your perspective has definitely sparked my curiosity, and I'm eager to delve into the book. Your insights have convinced me that it's a must-read, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Your review has inspired me to explore further.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”