Review of Story, Story

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eleni Antonopoulou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Review of Story, Story

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Story, Story" by Alicia Marsland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Story, Story is the first installment in The Tale of the Eighth Herald series by Alicia Marsland. In this book, the world as we know it has ceased to exist due to the devastating effects of disease, war, and human endeavors. Story, Story takes place in a dystopian future and follows the adventures of a ranger named Noah, who lives a secluded life with his wife Martie and runs a species preservation program. The lonely couple soon becomes a family as an unexpected encounter in the woods grants them their first child, and many more follow shortly after. When Noah decides to go on a journey to his homeland and make amends with his parents, he finds himself caught up in something much bigger than he had ever anticipated and bears witness to how broken his world truly is.

The greatest attribute of this book is its intricate world-building, which brings both the narrative and the characters to life. The author has masterfully constructed a unique and enigmatic universe, skillfully blending familiar elements with innovative twists, all wrapped in an aura of peril and uncertainty. The vivid descriptions of the forested wilderness, sentient creatures both familiar and otherworldly, gleaming yet gloomy cities, and dark swamps and alleys allowed me to immerse myself in the story and become a part of this dystopian world. What impressed me the most was the author’s meticulous attention to detail in creating numerous tribes and sects with their own hierarchy and firm beliefs, resulting in a complex and coherent world.

Furthermore, the characters in this novel are as remarkable as the world they inhabit. They are astonishingly well-developed and multi-dimensional, each harboring their own desires and fears and having distinct personalities that set them apart. Their dreams often resonated with my own, and their struggles tugged at my heartstrings. What is more, the characters in this book were active participants in the story’s unfolding. Their choices had profound implications for the narrative, and their intricate web of relationships kept me engaged until the very end. The conversations felt organic, the relationships were authentic, and no single character in this book felt redundant. Each contributed to the story and had its own unique place in the narrative.

While the writing was fluent and engaging, there were instances where the wording proved challenging to comprehend, necessitating a second reading. However, what significantly diminished my reading experience was the poor editing of the book. It suffered from missing quotation marks, misspelled words, misplaced paragraphs, and poor formatting. If not for the poor editing of the Kindle version, this was an otherwise impeccable read.

Overall, Story, Story is a unique and one-of-a-kind book that certainly lived up to my expectations. The narrative is gripping, the story is intriguing, and the setting is immersive. As a result, my rating for this book is 4 out of 5 stars. The only reason I am deducting one star from my review is the novel’s poor editing. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction and dystopian novels or anyone who wants a refreshing break from the typical best-sellers. As the author said, and I cannot stress this enough, nothing in this universe is what it seems!

Story, Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The feedback on the review for "Story, Story" acknowledges the intricate world-building and captivating characters as the greatest attributes of the book. The reviewer praises the author's skill in constructing a unique dystopian universe, blending familiar and innovative elements, and paying meticulous attention to detail in creating various tribes and sects. The characters are described as remarkable, well-developed, and multi-dimensional, with their dreams and struggles resonating with the reader. The reviewer also mentions the engaging writing style, although noting occasional challenges in comprehension. However, the poor editing of the Kindle version significantly affected the reading experience, with issues such as missing quotation marks, misspelled words, misplaced paragraphs, and poor formatting. The review rates the book 4 out of 5 stars, deducting one star due to the editing concerns. The book is recommended to fiction and dystopian novel lovers seeking a refreshing break from typical best-sellers.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”