Review of Places and Spaces

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Chasing Tales by Christine J. Logan

Review of Places and Spaces

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Places and Spaces" by Constance Swails Thibodeau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In my humble opinion, the best kind of poems aren’t those that rhyme; they aren’t those that come out of the mind; and they aren’t those that are mere words arranged poetically; instead, the best kind of poems are those that come right from the heart and connect with a part of your own heart. Places and Spaces by Constance Swails Thibodeau is one such book of poems that falls into this category and stirs up the juices of your heart to connect with the words that have been beautifully written by Constance.

The poems in this book are even more special because neither have they been written in a short period nor do they speak of the same topic throughout. These poems have been written over a time period spanning 30 years, and they aren’t just imaginary thoughts put into verse but are an expression of the various encounters that Constance had in her journey through life. Divided into five parts, the poems pertain to subjects of spirit, nature, aging, family, and a few other poems.

What I loved the most about Places and Spaces is that the poems aren’t too fancy in terms of language, yet they carry a profound meaning within them. For instance, the very first poem in the book titled “When I Wander” is such a thought-provoking and soul-stirring poem as it encapsulates the spiritual essence of seeking connection with the divine through nature's silent beauty. It reflects on the profound language of the soul in stillness, finding God's power not just in grand displays but also in the subtle melodies of nature. It emphasizes the yearning to understand the mysteries of faith, love, and divine power while seeking solace in prayer and the harmony of the natural world. Honestly, I was sold by this poem itself, and I knew that my poetic reading journey through this book was going to be nothing short of spectacular.

Another poem that stole my heart is “Moments of Fear." The reason I liked this poem is because it was written by Constance after she had an auto accident in the year 1990. The poem, in very few words, captures her emotions and fears wonderfully. The poem contemplates the uncertainty and vulnerability faced during that traumatic event and grapples with questions about life's fragility and the presence of a higher power in moments of fear and crisis. It reflects on the possibility of divine intervention and the reassurance of being safeguarded despite the looming danger, ultimately contemplating the purpose and meaning found in surviving such a perilous encounter.

I’d like to mention one more poem that had me thinking for a long time after I read it. This poem is titled "Weeds,” and in it, Constance talks about the paradoxical beauty and resilience of what society often dismisses as unwanted plants. The poem personifies these resilient beings, acknowledging their status as "special flowers" despite being labeled as weeds. It reflects on their vibrant colors, attracting birds and bees, and their life cycle of scattering seeds, perpetuating life anew. It touches on their vital role in the cycle of life, as they take from the earth, give back beauty, and enrich the soil upon their death, symbolizing the profound interconnectedness and contribution of these often-underestimated plants in the natural world. Reflective, isn’t it?

Well, I believe my thoughts on these selected poems that I loved from the book are enough to give one an idea of the kind of wonderful poems this book comprises. Also, let me not forget to mention how beautiful the cover of this book is! I believe it complements the substance of the poems very well. The one thing I found common in most poems, though, is Constance’s faith in God and her religion. Anyone who believes in the miracles of God or spirituality in general would certainly enjoy reading these poems.

Thus, based on my wonderful reading experience of Places and Spaces, I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars. The sole reason for deducting a star from the rating is the presence of typographical errors. Apart from that, there is absolutely nothing to dislike about this book, and it is truly worth your time and deserves to be read without a second thought.

Places and Spaces
View: on Bookshelves
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jessica Azuka »

This Review has a record breaking introduction and it makes me just want to dive right into the book. I am looking forward to reading this book to learn from it. However, I enjoy poems that rhyme though.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, Jaituni, you wrote a wonderful review of this book. I have not read a book of poetry for a very long time. I enjoyed reading your well-written review that included some of your favorite poems. You have inspired me to place this book on my bookshelves. Have a great day. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”