Review of Finding My Wings

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Finding My Wings

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding My Wings" by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's poetry collection, "Finding My Wings," is divided into three sections: "What It Is to Persevere," "What It Is to Live and Love," and "What It Is to Be Free." The language fluctuates between evocation, declaration, assertion, appeal, and melancholy as the author addresses such issues as personal evolution (as can be seen in "In Perfect Focus"), loss (as can be seen in "The End of a Journey"), social injustice (as can be seen in "The Narrative"), and collective victory (as can be seen in "For the Win").

This poetry collection addresses a variety of personal and societal issues, and this makes it a suitable read for a wide audience. I was most impacted by the poems under the section "What It Is to Persevere." These lines, "I have a new commitment / No longer insecure or timid of my being / I pull back from the edge of darkness / Reclaim the brightness of my light / Our union now cemented / I enjoy just being with me, especially brought me some fresh energy and gave me the courage to move on. I am grateful for that.

Several poetic devices were used in this book, and I do appreciate that they were gauged. This served me a delicious text devoid of unnecessary sophistication, as can be seen in the poem titled "Truth Stands." It was fascinating how "truth" was metaphorically used to express fortitude. The book's contribution to social justice and upholding noble causes is notable. It calls for massive action to "unring" such antihuman bells as gun violence, racial discrimination, victimization of women, suppression of free speech, and environmental degradation. The pictures inserted between the poems added to the book's appeal.

I am rating this book five out of five stars based on the aforementioned merits. There is nothing I think needs to be improved in this book, and there is no reason to deduct any stars from the rating. The attention paid to the editing is commendable; I found just one error in this book. "Finding My Wings" is another great option for lovers of poetry. If you are looking for a literary work that addresses real personal and societal needs, then you should be making the right choice by picking this up.

The book is free of profane words, but the revealing picture on page 41 makes it suitable for adult-only consumption.

Finding My Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

Finding My Wings by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez navigates personal growth and societal issues through evocative poetry. The reviewer appreciates its impact on self-discovery, the effective use of poetic devices, and commendable social justice advocacy. Meticulous editing and a five-star rating make it a recommended read for poetry enthusiasts. Viewer discretion is advised for revealing imagery on page 41.
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Finding My Wings by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez navigates personal growth and societal issues through evocative poetry. The reviewer appreciates its impact on self-discovery, the effective use of poetic devices, and commendable social justice advocacy. Meticulous editing and a five-star rating make it a recommended read for poetry enthusiasts. Viewer discretion is advised for revealing imagery on page 41.
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

"Wonderful review! Your thoughtful insights into Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's 'Finding My Wings' beautifully capture the essence of the poetry collection. I appreciate how you highlighted the impact of the 'What It Is to Persevere' section and the effective use of poetic devices. The book's contribution to social justice and the attention to editing are commendable.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This is a helpful review that provides a clear and concise overview of Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's poetry collection, "Finding My Wings." The reviewer highlights the different themes addressed in the book and praises its contribution to personal growth, social justice, and noble causes. The mention of poetic devices and the appealing use of visuals adds to the book's appeal. The review rates it five out of five stars without any suggested improvements. Overall, the review is sufficient and should motivate individuals interested in poetry addressing personal and societal issues to consider adding this book to their library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review for Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's poetry collection, "Finding My Wings," is highly positive. The reviewer praises the book's exploration of personal and societal issues, the excellent use of poetic devices, and its contribution to social justice. The inclusion of pictures adds to its appeal. The reviewer rates it five out of five stars, stating that there is nothing to be improved. Overall, it appears to be a compelling and impactful read with a broad audience appeal.
Shruti Sharma 25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shruti Sharma 25 »

I found this amazing piece on the website https://shabd.in/."Finding My Wings" is an emotionally resonant journey of self-discovery. The protagonist navigates personal challenges, confronts inner demons, and ultimately triumphs, emerging stronger and more self-aware. The narrative is skillfully crafted, offering a poignant exploration of identity and resilience. The story's depth and relatable characters make it a compelling read, leaving a lasting impact on the reader's heart and mind.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I enjoy just being with me. Thank you for highlighting the passage with these words in your review. I usually do not pick up poetry books, but the extract resonates with me. I like the book addressing several topics important to me such as free speech and environment.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I always love books that discuss social justice issues, especially if it's presented in the form of poetry. Something is always better when it starts with issues that are close and personal, and the author conveys it well. This review is well-written, making me want to delve deeper into this book. Thank you for writing this.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

'Finding My Wings' by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez is a poignant journey through poetry that tackles perseverance, love, freedom, and social justice. From evocative to melancholic, it's a read that empowers and enlightens. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Rohit Sharma 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Rohit Sharma 21 »

Ms. Leon-Gonzalez’s latest book, Finding My Wings, is a fantastic journey of life, love, and self-discovery. Some poems could be burning remarks about the political situation and its consequences. “Freedom No Longer Rings,” which sounds utterly like our discontent with the mixed political messages that we face today,.
Laiman Mmnto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Laiman Mmnto »

The chosen poem from the reviewer is a good choice. It's very alleviating. I rarely read poetry books. This could be a good intro for me. :techie-studyinggray:
:tiphat:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”