Review of Finding My Wings

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mark liu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Re: Review of Finding My Wings

Post by mark liu »

Great use of poetry to explore themes prevalent to us now. Well worth a read.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The poetry collection "Finding My Wings" by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez explores a range of themes, including personal growth, loss, social justice, and triumph.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by grace ruhara »

I find poems to be difficult to comprehend the authors message. I really do hope that Finding My Wings is easy to read and understand as it discusses important topics that I would really want to read and find out what Sandra says about them.
Dan Polumbric
Currently Reading: The Return of the Knights
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-polumbric.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Dan Polumbric »

Thank you for the detailed review, this gives me a better idea of what this work of poetry is about. Reviewing poetry books isnt easy, as this is quite a unique genre. This seems to be a well-written book, with use of metaphoric device and enhanced by pictures.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

The reviewer appreciates its impact on self-discovery, the effective use of poetic devices, and commendable social justice advocacy. Meticulous editing and a five-star rating make it a recommended read for poetry enthusiasts.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

Finding My Wings by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez navigates personal growth and societal issues through evocative poetry. The reviewer appreciates its impact on self-discovery, the effective use of poetic devices, and commendable social justice advocacy. Meticulous editing and a five-star rating make it a recommended read for poetry enthusiasts.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the poet's call for a better world. I am moved by her yearning for an all-inclusive world for all ethnicities as we are after all one people. Thanks for your review.
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: The Great Migration
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 128%

Post by Tejas Koli »

Sandra Leon-Gonzalez's poetry collection, "Finding My Wings," explores themes of personal growth, love, and social justice across three sections. The varied language and poetic devices employed engage readers as they navigate through evocative pieces like "In Perfect Focus" and "The End of a Journey." Particularly impactful are the poems in the "What It Is to Persevere" section, offering a sense of empowerment and courage. The collection also contributes to social awareness, addressing issues like gun violence and racial discrimination. Adding this to my reading list!
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I was instantly captured by the cover of this book, the idea is so original and the colors are so captivating! This alone made me want to read this poetry collection about personal and social life and evolution, thanks for quoting some of your favorite lines it was a pleasure to read them! Great review!
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

Poetry is one of the most complex firms of literature and it makes the non-literary inclined appreciate it less. However, this book has proven that poetry can also be appreciated and doesn't have to be too sophisticated for the ordinary man, hence this perfect rating.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The fact that the book focuses on both personal and collective issues, for humanity as one, united family, through advocating for the end of such vices as racial discrimination, makes it relevant and essential for everyone. I am happy that the author also talks about perseverance as life is packed with challenges, which require determination for one to overcome them. Many thanks for the review.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Poetry books are a fun read but not every category is. I don't really like poems about social justice but i however enjoyed reading this review. I liked the reviewer's point of view and expressions about the book. Congratulations on making a book of the day.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Suvankar Das 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

"Finding My Wings" offers a collection of poems that delve into the depths of the human experience, celebrating resilience and urging readers to fight for a better world. With its powerful messages of empowerment and self-awareness, this book is sure to resonate with those seeking inspiration and reflection.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Michael Gambo »

The author's courage in addressing societal issues with such clarity and passion is commendable, serving as a powerful call to action. This collection is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the importance of using our voices for meaningful change.
I believe in something greater than myself.
Thabiso Twala
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabiso-twala.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Thabiso Twala »

"Finding my Wings" by Sandra Leon-Gonzalez is a book constructed from pieces of poetry. It has three educative sections (What it is to persevere, What it is to Live and Love, and What It Is To Be Free). The book has helpful topics when it comes to finding your way in this world and connecting with other people (which is covered in the last section). The author was basically telling their story through these poems which is very creative.

What I really enjoyed about reading this book is the fact that, each section has poems that blend really well with. The author didn't lose direction of the headings which is one mistake that is made by authors who recite poems.

The book is written based on socioeconomic factors, forgiveness and moving on, self acceptance and so much more. The first section really grabbed my attention as it is focused on events that take place in real life and how we can handle ourselves when it comes to it. For example, there is this one poem in the first section titled "Healing", the poem teaches you how to heal from all that the world brings. With lines like "Sent death knocking at my door. But like a warrior with a battle plan I knew I wanted life much more", that show us we have the strength to conquer our battles and to survive.

The poem I choice personally, for me is 'Acceptance' as I believe it covers it all because at the end, if you don't know and accept yourself, then how do you expect to understand anything else that happens to you. The book covers a lot, including love, finding forgiveness and how to deal with grief as well.

I read the book without breaks and they how interesting I found it. With that being said I rate it 5 out of 5, and I recommend the book to anyone who wants to learn more about themselves, perseverance and patience. Thank you Book of The Day

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”