Review of Jasmines In Her Hair

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Jasmines In Her Hair

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jasmines In Her Hair" by Kalpesh Desai.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kalpesh Desai's poetry collection, "Jasmines in Her Hair: Poetry for the Soul," explores different shades of love life. In this romantic piece, readers are treated to the contents of fresh hearts mesmerized by the waves of first love, brought face to face to what happens when challenges set in, and led through the beauty of trying to salvage the situation or take the best necessary course of action.

The poems are grouped into various sections, like "Prelude," "Yesterday's Embers," "Resilience," "Rediscovery," "Memories," "Serendipity," and "Alchemy." This created a unity of themes and made it easier for me to appreciate their distinct preoccupations. I am currently having some relationship crises, but reading this book offered me some hope. The poems under "Prelude" made me realize that what I felt during the sunny days of my love life was genuine and that I should consider figuring some things out.

My favorite poems are "Not Who, but What," "Devoid of Blame," and "The Sweetest Goodbye." These poems taught me the importance of identifying the root causes of the problems in my love life and being open to managing the outcome of things. I am now aware of the several lapses from my side that destroyed some otherwise promising relationships I had been in. The loss and misery that followed were avoidable if only I had been better informed then.

I am impressed by the vivid word choices and artful use of the relevant poetic devices to develop the poems. For example, I could see in my mind's eye the experiences, memories, and messages being passed across in the line, "And those hurtful words you utter, / cut through my heart, / like a hot knife through butter." There is also the use of rhymes to introduce musical effects in poems like "When the Night Creeps in." The book was well edited. I found just one grammatical error in it.

There are some issues I would like the author to fix. First, I don't think it's helpful to use the same title for two different poems, as can be seen in the poem titled "Maybe" (page 47) and another one titled "Maybe" (page 57). Also, the poem titled "Clear Space" should begin on a fresh page and not be on the same page as the poem "New Dreams." The same issue is seen on pages 182 and 198. Furthermore, there are blank spaces on pages 32/33 and 138/139.

Overall, I had a great time reading this poetry collection. I rate it four out of five stars for its rich exploration of relationship matters. It lost a star due to the aforementioned concerns. This book is another wonderful pick for those looking for a well-written poetry collection. It is also a suitable read for first-time lovers or those looking for help navigating some relationship issues.

Jasmines In Her Hair
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Kalpesh Desai's poetry collection, "Jasmines in Her Hair: Poetry for the Soul," gracefully delves into the complexities of love life, offering readers a journey through the highs and lows of romantic experiences. The thematic grouping of poems into sections enhances the appreciation of distinct nuances, providing solace and insights for those facing relationship challenges. The reviewer finds hope and reflection in the poems under "Prelude," resonating with their own relationship crises and gaining awareness of the genuine emotions experienced during the sunny days of love. Nice review.
Abbdul Razak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arazak226.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill
2024 Reading Goal: 140
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Abbdul Razak »

This is a positive emotional review. Rishaunda Lynnette Britton put her self deep into the introspective imagination of love life.
Absolute the skies are not my limit but beyond the boundary of matter :music-listening:
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your review is so insightful! The way you connected with the poems, especially during your relationship challenges, adds a personal touch.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review is helpful and provides sufficient details about the poetry collection "Jasmines in Her Hair: Poetry for the Soul." It offers insights into the themes explored, the impact of the poems, and the reader's personal experiences. The positive feedback on the vivid word choices and use of poetic devices adds to the book's appeal. However, the reviewer does point out some issues with the book, such as repetitive titles and layout errors. Overall, the review motivates potential readers by highlighting the book's exploration of relationship matters and its potential to offer guidance. It appears to be a good addition to anyone's library, especially those interested in love poetry or seeking relationship insights.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review describes Kalpesh Desai's poetry collection, "Jasmines in Her Hair: Poetry for the Soul," as an insightful exploration of different aspects of love life. The book offers hope and guidance for those facing relationship crises. The reviewer appreciates the unity of themes in the poems and highlights their impactful word choices and use of poetic devices. The only drawback mentioned is a few formatting issues with duplicated titles and blank spaces. Overall, the review rates the book four out of five stars, recommending it as a well-written poetry collection suitable for those navigating relationship issues. It appears to be a good read.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This insightful review beautifully captures the essence of "Jasmines in Her Hair: Poetry for the Soul" by Kalpesh Desai. The reader's personal reflections on love and relationships, inspired by the collection, offer a genuine testament to its impact. The constructive criticism provided regarding formatting issues demonstrates a thoughtful engagement with the book's presentation. Overall, a well-rounded assessment that adds depth to the reader's experience.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”